History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sternfield, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2007 / 52°12'2"N

Longitude: 1.4975 / 1°29'50"E

OS Eastings: 639095

OS Northings: 261594

OS Grid: TM390615

Mapcode National: GBR XQD.TPX

Mapcode Global: VHM7N.XY0B

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 21 September 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278252

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406251

Location: Sternfield, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Sternfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Sternfield St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saxmundham

Listing Text

TM 36 SE STERNFIELD CHURCH HILL (east side)

2/120 Church of St. Mary
7.12.66 Magdalene (formerly listed
as Church of St. Mary)

GV II*


Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Mainly
random flint with stone dressings, some brickwork to nave; roofs of nave,
chancel and porch of plaintiles with crest tiles. Early C15 tower: square,
unbuttressed, crenellated parapet; 2 string courses to bell-chamber stage, the
one immediately below the parapet with some carved heads; 2-light semi-circular
headed bell-chamber openings; west face with one 2-light window (fragments of
medieval glass) and one single-light window with square hood mould; below lower
window is a carved stone shield bearing the de la Pole arms. Nave probably
C14: south wall with one late C19 3-light window in Perpendicular style, north
wall with 2 2-light C15 windows with square hood moulds (one window largely
original), blocked doorway. C14 porch: moulded entrance arch on semi-circular
responds, empty trefoil-headed niche above; 2-light side openings with circular
shafts and shouldered lintols; nave doorway with plank door and holy water
stoup to right hand side. Chancel rebuilt in 1764, considerably restored 1877:
new windows, re-fashioned Priest's doorway, vestry added to north on site of
C14 chapel; good C14 piscina with ballflower ornament set in north chancel
external wall. Nave with 4-bay single hammerbeam roof, probably largely C19,
the hammerbeams with pointed ends and pendant bosses; chancel roof of 1877, 3
bays, arch-braced construction; also of 1877 are the chancel arch, pulpit,
organ chamber, nave benches, tiles and much glass. North chancel wall retains
trefoil-headed 2-light window of the former chapel; north nave wall with
blocked entrance to rood loft stairs; blocked sanctus bell window above tower
arch. C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil to each face; some benches in chancel
with re-used C15 traceried ends with carved arm rests; reredos painting by
Benjamin West entitled 'The Blind Restored to Sight'; 2 plain marble tablets on
south chancel wall to Rev. Montagu North (d.1779) and Elizabeth North his wife
(d.1774). Graded II* for surviving medieval work, notably porch and tower.


Listing NGR: TM3909561594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.