History in Structure

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Winwick, Warrington

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4315 / 53°25'53"N

Longitude: -2.597 / 2°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 360433

OS Northings: 392912

OS Grid: SJ604929

Mapcode National: GBR BX9R.KM

Mapcode Global: WH98K.20MN

Plus Code: 9C5VCCJ3+J6

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 9 August 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278317

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405830

ID on this website: 101278317

Location: Winwick, Warrington, Cheshire, WA2

County: Warrington

Civil Parish: Winwick

Built-Up Area: Winwick

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Winwick St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


(East Side)

2/17 The Manor House



House, 1717 or earlier, extended to left C19 and altered. Rendered
brick with grey slate roof. 2 storeys plus attics; doorway at centre
with 1 room to each side in old portion, One room to each storey in
extension, under uninterrupted roof. The room to each storey right of
door has 2 C19 flush sashes of 2 panes; the lower storey window left
of the door has 16-pane sash with side-sashes of 4 panes. The 2nd
storey has double 2-pane sash; the attic has 4-pane sash in gabled
dormer. The 2-storey C19 extension has 1 4-pane sash to each storey.
4 panel C19 door of good quality in Roman Doric doorcase with square
pilasters and voussoired keystone inscribed 1717 WAP (Pilkington)
under pediment. In right end gable are a small-pane horizontal
sliding sash to lower storey, a sash to upper storey and a 12-pane
near-flush sash to attic. 2 oval plates read "WWW 55" and "WWW 57".
Some windows renewed, largely in unaltered openings, at rear; 4
openings have brick labels, probably C17. Window right of back door
(under a label) has rectangular leaded glazing. Over the back door is
a small-paned square fanlight.
Interior: Stone cellars; 2-panel oak doors, probably 1717 or earlier;
internal shutters to central parlour; some adze-finished beams; dogleg
newel stair 1717 or earlier of oak is painted, with 2 turned
balusters per step; simple turned balusters to attic landing; oak
small-framed partition left of stair-well; leaded windows (probably
with old glass) between stairwell and rear attic rooms, that to left
rectangular, that to right latticed. One 3-board oak door in attic;
oak purlins; good Victorian grates and fireplaces.

Listing NGR: SJ6043392912

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.