History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hebden Royd, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7058 / 53°42'21"N

Longitude: -2.0046 / 2°0'16"W

OS Eastings: 399796

OS Northings: 423267

OS Grid: SD997232

Mapcode National: GBR GTFL.T9

Mapcode Global: WHB8M.53QV

Entry Name: St John's Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 21 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405350

Location: Hebden Royd, Calderdale, HX7

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Hebden Royd

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cragg Vale St John the Baptist-in-the-Wilderness

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Mytholm

Listing Text

SD 92SE HEBDEN ROYD C.P. SWINE MARKET LANE,
SD 997232 Cragg Vale

3/264 St. John's Old Vicarage

-

G.V. II

Former vicarage, now house, dated 1901. Dressed stone, slate roof. 2 1/2 storeys.
Good quality Vernacular Revival. 3-bay front has matching gables with copings,
kneelers and ball finials. Left hand gable set back but with 2-storey bay
window flush with right hand gable with 10-light mullioned and transomed window
to both floors. Right hand has similar arrangement but with arched centre light
and 3-light attic window. Set between is wide segmental archway with expressed
keystone and moulded impost flanked by Tonic pilasters, entablature in form
of open arched balustrade to 1st floor balcony. Gabled rear wing at right
angles to front 2 gables which have parallel ridges. Left hand return wall
has window set in the angle with rear wing with 4-light and 2-light windows in
the 2 faces. Rear has doorway with shaped lintel and elaborately moulded
surround. Right hand return wall has canted ground floor bay window to the left
of which is tablet inscribed:
"To the Glory of God
and in loving memory of
Hinchliffe Hinchliffe esq. J.P.
of Cragg Hall in this parish
this Vicarage house is erected
by his daughter Helen Strickland,
A. D. 1901 "
3 stacks one to each ridge. Nearby was Cragg Hall (now demolished) in the style
of Norman Shaw. This vicarage has similar characteristics.


Listing NGR: SD9979623267

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.