This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2063 / 52°12'22"N
Longitude: 0.7626 / 0°45'45"E
OS Eastings: 588865
OS Northings: 260045
OS Grid: TL888600
Mapcode National: GBR RGS.MM1
Mapcode Global: VHKDC.5TJ1
Plus Code: 9F426Q47+G2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404989
Location: Little Whelnetham, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
Civil Parish: Little Whelnetham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bradfield St George and Little Whelnetham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 SE LT.WELNETHAM CHURCH LANE
2/112 Church of St.Mary Magdalene
Church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with
some surviving areas of early render, lacing courses of plaintile to tower,
limestone quoins and dressings. Plaintiled roofs. The earlier chancel re-
fenestrated mid C14; 2-light hood-moulded windows in sidewalls and 3-light east
window with flowing tracery. Simple nave piscina possibly Norman with
chamfered round arch; small arched recess, perhaps a C13 aumbry; C13
leper squint in south wall. C13 tower, with mid C14 2-light west window, 2-
light belfry openings with boarded shutters, the parapets rebuilt early C16 in
crenellated red brickwork. The nave much altered early C16, with large 4-light
hood-moulded windows, north (blocked) and south doorways, and tower-arch. Fine
nave hammer-beam roof, with each hammer-beam figure-carved (restored 1842), and
principal rafters arch-braced up to collar; 2 intermediate trusses above each
window, arched directly to collar, with a head carved in the wall-post either
side of each brace; lion-head carved timber corbels to each truss. Early C16
porch of unusually thick red bricks; crow-stepped gable, hood-moulded arched
doorway and niche above, 2-light arched side windows, coupled rafter roof.
Chancel roof rebuilt early C16; principal rafters with arch-bracing to collars,
butt purlins and crenellated cornice; of similar workmanship to nave roof.
Restored C15 screen, complete up to middle rail only, with pilasters and
tracery between. A set of 20 fine C15 poppy-head pews, some restored or
replaced to a high standard, probably in 1882; traditional poppy-heads,
traceried ends and carved buttresses. C19 traceried poppy-head choir stalls.
C15 octagonal limestone font, with traceried stem and sunk quatrefoils to bowl.
In the south nave wall 2 C14 image pedestals, and a shaft (probably reset),
having a C12 cushion capital. 4 black marble slabs in the chancel floor to:-
Edward Agas (rector), d.1680, and his wife Rachel, d.1677; their son Anthony
Agas (rector), d.1721; Wm Bauley, d.1705, and his wife Susan, d.1718; Katherin
Briton, d.1720, her son Thomas, d.1741, and daughter Elizabeth, d.1734.
Listing NGR: TL8886560045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings