History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Derby Independent Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Littleover, Derby

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8949 / 52°53'41"N

Longitude: -1.5275 / 1°31'38"W

OS Eastings: 431884

OS Northings: 333150

OS Grid: SK318331

Mapcode National: GBR P6R.9M

Mapcode Global: WHCFV.HHVL

Plus Code: 9C4WVFVF+W2

Entry Name: Derby Independent Grammar School

Listing Date: 23 March 1987

Last Amended: 3 July 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405123

Location: Derby, DE23

County: Derby

Electoral Ward/Division: Littleover

Built-Up Area: Derby

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Littleover St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in


(East side)

11/208A Derby independent Grammar
School (formerly listed as Rykneld


Small country house now Special Hospital. Built c1780 for Josias Cockshutt.
c1806 enlarged possibly by Wyatt, 1826 south front re-faced for Cockshutt Heathcote
to the designs of an amateur architect Richard Leaper of Derby. 1881-3 enlarged
again for Sir Abraham Woodiwiss. C20 institutional alterations and additions.
Brick rendered, and ashlar faced with ashlar dressings. Slate hipped roofs behind
a parapet. Entrance front of 10 bays with a rendered 3 bay, 2 1/2 storey projecting wing
to the north-east which was the original house. The ground floor has a single
glazing bar sash to the left, the remainder is obscured by an inappropriate C20
single storey extension, above 3 glazing bar sashes,with above again 3 smaller
glazing bar sashes. The central recessed 2 storey, 5 bay addition of c1806 has
another addition of 1881-3 in a similar style and 2 bays to the south-west. This
block has a plain plinth,and first floor cill band, with a moulded cornice topped
by acroterion. The entrance bay projects slightly and is topped by a pediment, it
has a projecting tripartite porch of 1881-3 articulated with Roman Boric pilasters
upporting an entablature.The central doorway is emphasized by 2 slightly projecting
Roman Doric columns supporting a pediment. The half glazed double doors are
flanked by narrow side lights. Above and behind; a small tripartite glazing bar
sash. Either side are 2 glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds, beyond to the
right is a slightly projecting bay, with a plank door and glazing bar overlight in
a tall ashlar pedimented surround, beyond again is another single similar glazing
bar sash. Over the entrance is a single glazing bar sash in a moulded surround,
within a shallow segmental arch supported on small Roman Doric columns, the arch
itself is moulded with a keystone. Either side are 2 more glazing bar sashes in
moulded surrounds, beyond to the right a 3 small C20 casements and beyond again
another glazing bar sash in a moulded surround. The 2 storey,8 bay south-east
front has a moulded plinth, ground and first floor plain bands and a moulded
cornice topped by acroterion. The ground floor is rusticated with rusticated
pilaster strips, the first floor has Roman Doric pilasters. The central 2 bays are
flanked by 2 storey bow windows and beyond these are flanked by 2 more bays. The
2 central bays have tall glazing bar sashes in finely moulded surrounds,either side
the bow windows have 3 glazing bar sashes to each floor,the surrounds have exceedingly
tall and slender Roman Doric pilasters supporting an entablature Either side again
are 2 more glazing bar sashes in finely moulded surrounds. The upper floor has a
similar window arrangement. INTERIOR. The oval former 2 storey staircase hall,
from which the staircase has been removed and which has then been floored in to
make 2 rooms. There is now a fine wooden pedimented ' doorcase and niches ' in the
lower room, and niches and a bracketed cornice plus a late C19 overlight in the room
above. The former saloon still retains its wreathed and swagged Adamesque
plasterwork with low relief panels and an ornate cornice and ceiling rose. Above
another room has similar wreathed and swagged plasterwork and cornice, plus
later raised and fielded panelling with thin pilasters to the picture rail. The
present,l881-3 staircase hall has an oak single flight stair with turned balusters
supported on Corinthian columns, plus C17 style square panelling topped with an
entablature, and incorporating an oak fireplace surround re-using some pieces of
original C17 panelling. The ornate plasterwork C17 style ceiling also dates from
1881-3. In a ground floor room, in the original block is a large very fine stone
fireplace with overmantle, this fireplace is largely early C17 and of very high
quality probably brought in at a later date and slightly altered. It has crude
Ionic columns supporting a manted piece entablature with a probably mid C18,
ornately carved arabesque frieze, the overmantel has Ionic pilasters with carved
panels supporting an elaborately carved entablature, the central panel contains 2
fruit and foliate wreaths with ribbons, they are divided by an ornately turned
baluster. Another upper room has heavy C19 Roccoco style plasterwork.

Listing NGR: SK3188433150

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.