History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Countess of Chester Hospital (Original Block)

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2114 / 53°12'40"N

Longitude: -2.8985 / 2°53'54"W

OS Eastings: 340089

OS Northings: 368634

OS Grid: SJ400686

Mapcode National: GBR 79.1QFR

Mapcode Global: WH887.FJZY

Plus Code: 9C5V6462+HH

Entry Name: Countess of Chester Hospital (Original Block)

Listing Date: 11 February 1983

Last Amended: 27 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404828

Location: Upton-by-Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Upton-by-Chester

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Upton The Holy Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(West side)

313/5/40 Countess of Chester
Hospital (original
(Formerly listed as:
(West side)
11/02/83 Original block of West
Cheshire Hospital)

- II

Formerly known as: Deva Hospital LIVERPOOL ROAD
Mental hospital, now offices. Formerly the Cheshire County Lunatic Asylum. 1827-29, by William Cole jnr. of Chester. Additions c1840 and 1849.Internal alterations 1852-1970. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs.
Original block, 2 and 3 storeys over basement. Symmetrical elevation, 19 windows, arranged 3:5:3:5:3. Painted basement, ground floor band, moulded cornice and blocking course. Glazing bar windows of various types, with brick flat arches.
Projecting central block, 3 storeys, has bands to each floor and pediment containing the County Arms, inserted c1840. Glazing bar sashes with wedge lintels. Ionic porch in antis, approached by divided stone steps within balustrade walls. 4-panel door with sidelights and overlight.
Side ranges have regular fenestration. Projecting end pavilions have tripartite central windows on each floor, with heavy mullions. Returns have similar fenestration and projecting end bays.
Rear central block has canted corners. Addition, 2 storeys, has regular fenestration and wider terminal bay, 3 windows.
1849 wings, 3 storeys, 7 windows arranged 2:1:1:2, E-plan. Bands to each floor and moulded cornices. Projecting central bay with canted bay window, 3 storeys, 3 lights. Side bays have unusual tripartite mullioned windows to the first floor, with cambered lintels. Second floor has similar 2-light windows. Projecting central rear bay has canted corners.
Interior, much altered, has a stone cantilever open well staircase with double iron stick balusters and ramped handrail.

Listing NGR: SJ4008968634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.