History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church at Countess of Chester Hospital 200 Metres South West of 1829 Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2109 / 53°12'39"N

Longitude: -2.9005 / 2°54'1"W

OS Eastings: 339956

OS Northings: 368580

OS Grid: SJ399685

Mapcode National: GBR 79.1PY9

Mapcode Global: WH887.FK1B

Plus Code: 9C5V636X+9Q

Entry Name: Church at Countess of Chester Hospital 200 Metres South West of 1829 Block

Listing Date: 14 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468947

Location: Upton-by-Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Upton-by-Chester

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Upton The Holy Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Chester

Description

SJ 36 NW
313/5/10000

UPTON BY CHESTER
LIVERPOOL ROAD
(West side)
Church at Countess of Chester Hospital 200m SW of 1829 block

II

Church. 1856. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and steep pitched roof with octagonal slates. Early English style. Plinth, small buttresses, moulded eaves, coped gables. Chancel, vestries, nave with bellcote, porches. Openings are sharply pointed, with hood moulds. Windows are mainly single lancets with deeply splayed reveals. Chancel, single bay, has angle buttresses and a 3-light east window. Towards the east end, a single lancet on each side. Vestries have rebuilt square gable stacks. To east, a quatrefoil window, to north and south, a door. Nave, 6 bays, has buttressed gabled porches to north and south. West end has a slightly projecting centre with sill band, containing a tall window, 2 lights. Above this, a gabled bellcote with blocked openings, and containing a clock. On either side, a single lancet. Interior, rendered and painted, has pointed arched openings with hood moulds. Chancel has moulded arch, flanked to left by a door and to right by a small organ case. Plain matchboard ceiling with cornice. East window has stained glass dated 1885. Nave has common rafter roof with intersecting arch braces and king post. At the west end, a tall recess containing a large traceried panelled wooden cabinet with attached bench. The cabinet contains a clock mechanism dated 1856, by Joyce of Whitchurch. At the top of the cabinet is a small clock dial. Fittings include an octagonal wooden pulpit, possibly original, altered mid C20. Other fittings mid C20.

Listing NGR: SJ3995668580

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.