History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

All Saints Church

A Grade I Listed Building in Hawstead, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2003 / 52°12'1"N

Longitude: 0.7141 / 0°42'50"E

OS Eastings: 585579

OS Northings: 259258

OS Grid: TL855592

Mapcode National: GBR QFL.1C3

Mapcode Global: VHKDB.BYDM

Entry Name: All Saints Church

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 January 1984

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403991

Location: Hawstead, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Hawstead

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hawstead All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 85 NE; 5/49

All Saints Church

(Formerly listed as Church of All Saints)



Church; mediaeval, restored 1857. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
north vestry. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; leaded
parapet roofs to tower and porch. The north and south nave doorways C12, with
chevron- and roll-moulded round arch, moulded imposts, engaged shafts with
cushion capitals and moulded bases. The chancel has mid C13 work: lancets (now
blocked) in side walls, south doorway, chancel arch with polygonal jambs and
moulded capital and base, a double piscina now hidden behind the tomb of
Elizabeth Drury. Another C13 piscina in the nave to left of chancel arch. In
the chancel a fine C14 canopied recess with flanking pilasters; within it is
the effigy of a C13 knight, said to be of the Fitz Eustace family. Three 2-light
windows inserted into chancel mid-C14. Vestry probably added C15; flint
rubble and freestone walls much repaired in red brick; cambered tie-beam roof.
The tower, nave and south porch all built early C16. Tower in three stages, on a
freestone plinth with frieze of flushwork traceried panels. Moulded west
doorway with large 3-light window above; between them a frieze bearing the
arms of the Drury family. Polygonal full-height stair turret, 2-light belfry
openings, crenellated parapets with flushwork panels. 3-light side windows to
nave, all having dropped-cill seats. Fine 9-bay nave roof, probably not
finished before 1550, heavily restored 1857; principal rafters with arch-
braced high collars and king posts, alternate trusses having arch-braced
hammer beams carved as angels, with traceried spandrels; the intermediate
trusses arch-braced directly to the wall-pieces on stone corbels. Deep moulded
and traceried cornice, two purlins and ridge; many members have folded-leaf
carving. The porch of squared flint and limestone rubble, with pilastered
doorway, 2-light windows and parapet gables. The east window renewed early
C16; large, of five lights. Barrel roof in the chancel, plastered, with ribbed
and bossed richly decorated panels. Beside the tower arch a C13 wall-painting
of a female figure; originally on the south chancel wall behind the Elizabeth
Drury tomb, moved c.1980. Font with plain square bowl, probably C12; formerly
with a square base, replaced with turned shafts c.1857. C15 rood screen with two
sidelights on each side, and tracery at upper level; the sanctus bell still
sits upon the top rail. Octagonal oak pulpit very restored, using some early
C16 panels. Restored early C16 poppyhead stalls with traceried fronts. Four
simple C16 poppyhead elm pews. C19 poppyhead nave pews; four have reused C16
animal-heads. A C17 family pew, oak-panelled with marquetry. Late C17 altar
rails and gates now placed across the tower-arch. In a north nave window some
stained glass of C15 and C16; heraldry, saints and evangelists in roundels.
The east window and others have good C19 stained glass commemorating the Cullum
family. Fine wall monuments and tablets in the chancel, including to:- Sir
Robert Drury, d.1624, by Nicholas Stone; Elizabeth Drury, d. 1610; Sir Thomas
Cullum, d.1664, by D. Nacinto (outsize, in painted plaster); Sir Dudley
Cullum, d.1720; Dame Anna Cullum, d.1735. In the nave the altar tomb of Sir
William Drury, d.1557. A group of 6 good marble wall tablets in the nave, to
the Metcalfe family, one to Mary Buckley, Viscountess Carleton. Three C16 brasses
in chancel floor. Several black marble floor slabs of late C17 to early C19 in
nave and chancel, mainly to the Cullum family. Large C19 organ with Gothick

Listing NGR: TL8557959258

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.