This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1842 / 52°11'3"N
Longitude: 0.8071 / 0°48'25"E
OS Eastings: 591998
OS Northings: 257711
OS Grid: TL919577
Mapcode National: GBR RH7.0VH
Mapcode Global: VHKDK.YC1F
Plus Code: 9F425RM4+MR
Entry Name: St Clare Hall
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403625
Location: Bradfield St. Clare, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
Civil Parish: Bradfield St. Clare
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bradfield St Clare
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 95 NW BRADFIELD ST.CLARE ST.CLARE HALL ROAD
6/22 St. Clare Hall
House, formerly manor house, C15 and C16 in 3 phases. 2 storeys. Timber-
framed and rendered, the C16 block jettied at 1st floor level along the front.
Plaintiled roofs with axial and gable chimneys of red brick. Early C19 small-
pane sash windows and entrance door, panelled, with the upper section glazed.
The early C16 main range contains a 2-bay hall with a parlour to left. The
cross-passage entry has a screen of tall-panelled oak wainscotting, and the
parlour contains fragments of similar work. The main range has a plain crown-
post roof, augmented before c.1600 by principal rafters with arch-braced
collars and butt purlins. The C15 crosswing to right is of 2 unequal cells;
the crown-post roof later converted to clasped-purlin type. The rear mid-C15
wing has 2 bays of a formerly 3-bay solar at 1st floor level; the 2 damaged
crown-posts have fine moulded capitals and arch-bracing to the collar-purlin;
the closed truss has deep rising braces up to a crown-stud. The moated site is
of the house of the de St. Clare family; the present C15 structures were built
later, possibly for Roger Jerveys (d.1493).
Listing NGR: TL9199857711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings