This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0716 / 53°4'17"N
Longitude: -2.8156 / 2°48'56"W
OS Eastings: 345450
OS Northings: 353014
OS Grid: SJ454530
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.BDL8
Mapcode Global: WH891.Q2F3
Entry Name: Stretton Mill and Steps, Millrace and Sluice Adjoining
Listing Date: 18 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403423
Location: Stretton, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Stretton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tilston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 SE STRETTON C.P. MILL LANE
3/46 Stretton Mill and steps,
millrace and sluice
Water-powered cornmill C16 and C17, extended C18 and C19.
Weatherboarded oak frame and coursed red sandstone with brown brick
leanto extension and chimney of stone and brick at rear; graded grey
slate roof, stone plinth and stone replacement as part of the walls of
the older (right) part of the mill. C19 extension, left, of stone. 2
storeys plus attic grain store. External overshot wheel of timber on
right gable wall. Divided boarded door of oak. 1 leaded casement and
1 iron-barred opening to lower storey and 3 leaded casements to upper
storey at front; 1 leaded casement to upper storey and to attic in
west gable; all have oak shutters on wrought iron hinges. East gable
end has camber-arched barred opening to the internal wheel-pit with an
oak boarded loading-door above flanked by small leaded and shuttered
casements. 2 leaded, shuttered casements in C18 leanto at rear, and
boarded door. The chimney of stone has a diagonal flue of brick; the
stonework bears carved initials and dates: IHM 1763; JOHN HUGHES; GD;
HB; ?W 17?? Bargeboards; eaves have exposed rafters. Adjoining east
gable wall is a flight of stone steps up mill dam, and a stone-walled
millrace with sluice.
Interior contains a breastwheel in C19 extension, left, driving a
complete train of mid-Victorian largely cast iron machinery, and
(right) a train of restored largely C18 wooden machinery driven by the
external wheel. On lower storey at rear is a forge-hearth. On upper
floor (reached by steep stair left of entrance) are the underdrift
millstones, ancillary equipment and hoist-hatch. In the leanto
extension are carved on east side of chimney: PB; IR; IMO; 1640;
EW(?); PB 1712. Grain loft (access by ladder) in older (right) part
of main building contains 2 diagonal-strut oak trusses with
windbraces, chamfered oak purlins and diagonally set ridge-piece. The
oak frame and kingpost truss of the former left gable (now between the
older part and the C19 extension of the mill) survives. The mill
machinery (restored by Dr Cyril Boucher partly at the expense of the
Science Museum, in 1967) is of national importance. J H Norris The
Water-powered Cornmills of Cheshire, O J P Bott Cornmill Sites in
Cheshire Parts 2 & 3, Cheshire History Nos.11 and 13. . . .
Listing NGR: SJ4545053014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings