History in Structure

Numbers 6 to 11 (Consecutive) and Attached Front Basement Area Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4542 / 51°27'15"N

Longitude: -2.6172 / 2°37'2"W

OS Eastings: 357207

OS Northings: 172980

OS Grid: ST572729

Mapcode National: GBR C3K.3K

Mapcode Global: VH88M.LQ73

Plus Code: 9C3VF93M+M4

Entry Name: Numbers 6 to 11 (Consecutive) and Attached Front Basement Area Railings

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380518

ID on this website: 101279556

Location: Clifton Wood, Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



901-1/14/1014 (North side)
08/01/59 Nos.6-11 (Consecutive)
and attached front basement area
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.6-11 (Consecutive))


Terrace of 6 houses, some offices. 1838. By Charles Dyer.
Limestone ashlar with party wall stacks, roof not visible.
Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style.
Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 2-window range, No.6 of
4 windows. A slightly concave terrace has a large full-height
3-sided bay to the left-hand end; banded ground floor to a
cornice, upper recessed party wall strips to a modillion
cornice, and an attic storey with cornices and parapet.
Recessed right-hand doorways have consoles to moulded lintels,
overlights with 9 oval panes, No.11 has plate-glass with a
lantern, and 4-panel doors. Tripartite ground-floor windows,
architraves above, with raised cornices to the first floor, to
6/6-pane and attic 3/3-pane sashes. Tripartite basement
windows have Pennant dressings. Full-width first-floor balcony
has cast-iron brackets and bowed railings with sinuous rails,
and basket balconies to the bay.
INTERIOR: No.6, entrance hall with modillion cornice, and a
rear open dogleg winder stair with moulded cast-iron
balusters, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron spear-headed basement
area railings. Constructed to complete the uncompleted late
C18 crescent Nos 1-5 (qv), abandoned during the 1792 crash.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 223).

Listing NGR: ST5720772980

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.