History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arkwright House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7578 / 53°45'27"N

Longitude: -2.6947 / 2°41'40"W

OS Eastings: 354297

OS Northings: 429269

OS Grid: SD542292

Mapcode National: GBR TBN.S9

Mapcode Global: WH85M.LT13

Entry Name: Arkwright House

Listing Date: 12 June 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392172

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429SW STONEYGATE
941-1/12/276 (East side)
12/06/50 Arkwright House

GV II*

Formerly known as: Arkwright Arms STONEYGATE.
Town house, now partly occupied as office. 1728 with C19
addition; altered and renovated c.1979. Brick, with stucco
facade, slate roof. L-plan: single-depth front range with rear
wing, and addition to east side. Early Georgian. Three storeys
and attic over cellar, a 5-window symmetrical range, plus
2-window addition to right. The facade has a central doorway
with a C20 pedimented wooden architrave and panelled door with
overlight; and 12-pane sashed windows on all floors, with
raised sills and exposed boxes. Gable chimneys, C20 skylights
in roof. The left gable wall has a large 12-pane sashed
stair-window, a small 12-pane sash above this, and a very
small 12-pane sash to the attic. The addition to the right,
which is not stuccoed, has a C19 corner-shop front at ground
floor, sashed windows without glazing bars at 1st floor,
altered windows at 2nd floor.
INTERIOR altered. History: House was originally occupied by
headmaster of Grammar School; in 1768 Richard Arkwright and
John Kay occupied a back room for development of the spinning
machine known as the water-frame.


Listing NGR: SD5425429293

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.