This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0772 / 54°4'37"N
Longitude: -2.8376 / 2°50'15"W
OS Eastings: 345291
OS Northings: 464911
OS Grid: SD452649
Mapcode National: GBR 8PM9.G5
Mapcode Global: WH840.CSZ6
Plus Code: 9C6V35G6+VW
Entry Name: Bare Hall
Listing Date: 30 July 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391808
Location: Morecambe, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA4
Civil Parish: Morecambe
Built-Up Area: Morecambe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Morecambe St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM
SD46SE BARE LANE, Bare
939-1/2/1 Bare Hall
House, now used as old people's home. Probably 1830.
Sandstone with slate roof.
2 storeys. Main house, to left, of ashlar and symmetrical,
with sill band to 1st floor windows, cornice, and blocking
course. 3 bays. Windows are late C20 top-hung casements with
glazing bars, painted brown and replacing glazing bar sashes
but in original openings. On the ground floor are stone canted
bay windows. Outer bays on 1st floor contain paired windows
with central stone mullions.
Stone porch has cornice and blocking course and is carried on
unfluted Greek Doric columns with pilaster responds. To the
right are 3 bays faced with narrow courses of squared stone,
but the details of the dressings suggest that the date may be
similar to that of the main facade.
There is a 1st floor sill blind, and the outer bays contain
paired windows with stone surrounds. On the ground floor are
stone canted bay windows, the right-hand one replacing a
doorway, constructed from re-used stone and having a slated
The left-hand return wall has a re-used stone door surround
entering a parallel range to the rear. It has a moulded
triangular pediment re-used above plain stone jambs. Its style
suggests a mid C18 date. A central carved inscription is now
indecipherable, but is said to have been 'J L H 1830', a
likely date for the present building which was known as 'New
Hall; and was built by John or James Lodge.
(Crawshaw H N: A Short History of Bare).
Listing NGR: SD4529164911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings