History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Humbledon Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnes, Sunderland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8903 / 54°53'24"N

Longitude: -1.4058 / 1°24'21"W

OS Eastings: 438209

OS Northings: 555220

OS Grid: NZ382552

Mapcode National: GBR V83.VZ

Mapcode Global: WHD5C.CBSW

Entry Name: Humbledon Pumping Station

Listing Date: 10 November 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279871

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391586

Location: Sunderland, SR3

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnes

Built-Up Area: Sunderland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Bishopwearmouth St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text


SUNDERLAND

NZ3855 SEAFORTH ROAD
920-1/15/201 (South West side)
10/11/78 Humbledon Pumping Station

GV II

Water pumping station. 1846 and later. By Thomas Hawksley;
from 1852 for the Sunderland and South Shields Water Company.
English garden wall bond brick (3 and one) with ashlar plinth,
quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof.
2 high storeys, 2x1 windows to engine house; double range
boiler house one high storey, 3 windows. Italianate style. NE
elevation has engine house at right: ashlar-coped dwarf walls
flank steps up to boarded door and overlight in plain jambs
with triple-keyed plain stone surround to semicircular head on
impost blocks; wedge stone lintel and projecting stone sill to
blocked square window above. Boiler house on ground falling to
left has stone voussoirs and triple key to high arch at right,
next to engine house, and 3 blocked windows at high level with
wedge stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Right return
of engine house has 2 round-headed windows with surrounds
similar to that of door, and to square windows above similar
to those on NE; diagonal buttress between ground floor windows
is of large ashlar blocks. SW elevation a mirror image of NE
but with shorter steps, and with rectangular hole at top right
of engine house.
This was the first of a series of pumping stations designed by
Hawksley, and continued by his son, to pump water through the
magnesian limestone to provide the first good water supply for
Sunderland. All windows blocked, boiler house chimney removed
and pumping station out of use at time of survey.
(Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People:
Sunderland: 1988-: 74; Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland
1814-1914: Newcastle: 1983-: 19).


Listing NGR: NZ3820955220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.