This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2293 / 51°13'45"N
Longitude: -3.8378 / 3°50'16"W
OS Eastings: 271773
OS Northings: 149399
OS Grid: SS717493
Mapcode National: GBR L1.2TV1
Mapcode Global: VH4M9.FCFF
Plus Code: 9C3R65H6+PV
Entry Name: United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 9 June 1995
Last Amended: 16 October 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376507
Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35
Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth
Built-Up Area: Lynton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH
SS7149 LEE ROAD, Lynton
858-1/4/25 (South side)
United Reformed Church
United Reformed Church, formerly Congregational. 1904. For Sir
George Newnes, patron, at cost of £1,500. Snecked rubble,
limestone ashlar dressings, tile roof. A single 4-bay nave,
with vestry to SW, and squat tower above porch to the NE; the
church is set gable to Lee Road.
An Arts and Crafts building with Art Nouveau overtones. The
main gable has decorative timber-framing with cusping, and a
brattished bottom 'tie', with plastered panels, above a
5-light window with transom and flat segmental head with
decorative spandrels; the lights are cusped. The gable eaves
has a cusped barge-board and a small finial. To the left,
brought forward, is a gabled porch with similar barge-board,
over a pair of plank doors in a segmental moulded arch.
Set back behind this is the tower, square, with corner turrets
and sunk lancet panels, with an undulating crenellated parapet
above blind 'Perpendicular' panelling, and a 2-light casement
with transom. The pyramidal roof has a lead finial. The E side
of the tower has a 3-light casement. The right (W) return is
in 4 bays, with 3-light casements with transom, cusped lights
under a flat segmental arch, and small-pane leading, divided
by square buttresses with 2 offsets, but diagonal at the gable
To the right is the gabled vestry, set forward towards the
street, with decorative barge-board and timber-framing
containing a 5-light timber casement. The S gable is plain,
with a small ridge stack, and with an attached low apse with
conical roof, and a diagonal buttress to the right corner. The
E side has four 3-lights and buttresses, as the W. The deep
eaves carries the original cast-iron ogee gutter.
INTERIOR: 4 arched-braced collar trusses with decorative
square baluster kingposts. Plastered walls, panelled dado,
plain glass. A central octagonal pulpit with Art Nouveau
carved decoration, flanked by rails and a platform on 2 steps.
There was formerly an organ in the apsidal recess. An austere
interior to a simple but dignified exterior.
The building is another example of the generosity of Sir
George Newnes as patron in the town, and is similar in style
to the Town Hall (qv); an inscribed stone reads: 'Erected by
Sir George Newnes. Dedicated August 23rd 1904'.
(Allen NV: Churches and Chapels of Exmoor: Dulverton: 1974-:
Listing NGR: SS7177349399
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings