History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Marine Workshops

A Grade II Listed Building in Newhaven, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7941 / 50°47'38"N

Longitude: 0.0535 / 0°3'12"E

OS Eastings: 544826

OS Northings: 101404

OS Grid: TQ448014

Mapcode National: GBR LSF.2CQ

Mapcode Global: FRA C60Z.SSZ

Entry Name: The Marine Workshops

Listing Date: 10 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374211

Location: Newhaven, Lewes, East Sussex, BN9

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Newhaven

Built-Up Area: Newhaven

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Newhaven St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Newhaven

Listing Text


NEWHAVEN

TQ4401SE RAILWAY QUAY
769-1/8/15 The Marine Workshops

GV II

Engineering workshops for London, Brighton and South Coast
Railway cross channel packet ships, latterly for port
maintenance. Circa 1882, upper story partly rebuilt mid
1940's, reroofed 1961. Brick, parallel hipped roof with
corrugated iron sheeting and plastic sheeting skylights,
remains of original roof of pine planking with glazed
skylights said to survive in the little store range. Plan:
rectangular single cell, divided east-west by 2-storey 9-bay
arcade of cast-iron columns, office sand small store attached
on north front, projection in SE corner under catslide roof
for plumber's shop, (now electrical); 2 pairs of sliding doors
on east and west fronts. The exterior is articulated as a
2-storey structure; brick pilasters carry an entabluture
forming recessed panels for the round-headed 16-light
cast-iron windows on the north and south fronts with most of
the original segmental-headed lunette windows surviving at
first floor level, except on the south front, in the NE corner
where there are twon inserted square-headed windows, and on
the W front; (these were rebuilt following damage sustained in
nov 1944 when a barge laden with munitions struck a mine just
outside the harbour causing extensive damage throughout
Newhaven). Gable-fronted single-storey store in NE corner
abuts the former Locomotive Workshops (qv), with 2-storey
canted bay to office behind overlooking the quay (not
included).
Interior: an interesting collection of original fittings still
survive. The central 9-bay arcade carries the shaft for the
belt-drive system, which remains partly in use at the western
end. Originally alternate columns were hollow and functioned
as downcomers for the central valley of the roof, but they
were filled in when the roof was replaced. The two original
hand-operated cranes and their gantries survive, still in
operation, and there is a blacksmith's forge with cast-iron
hood and chimney, the former bearing the inscription "Brighton
Works 1882". This workshop was used for the repair of ships'
engines until the early 1960s.


Listing NGR: TQ4482601404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.