History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9928 / 51°59'34"N

Longitude: -2.1577 / 2°9'27"W

OS Eastings: 389265

OS Northings: 232720

OS Grid: SO892327

Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.18X

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K54M

Entry Name: 2, High Street

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376765

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/182 (West side)
04/03/52 No.2

GV II*

House in row. Early C18. Flemish bond brickwork, tile and felt
roofs. The front block is linked to a square 4-storey block by
an inset unit, all of this of the C18. Beyond is a later brick
addition linked via a late C20 glazed passageway.
Front is 3 storeys, 3-windowed. wide 9-pane sashes at second
floor and 12-pane at first floor each side, but second-floor
centre has a blind oculus with keystones at the cardinal
points, and first floor an arched sash with early C19
interlaced head. All windows are set to the wall face under
rubbed brick voussoirs, and with central fluted keystones with
cornice, and stone cills. The ground floor has symmetrical
4-pane C19 shop front in pilasters and fascia with moulded
cornice between bold consoles. Central recessed glazed door
under a square transom-light. Inside the glass at the set-back
are 2 slender quatrefoil-plan cast-iron columns. Above a stone
modillion cornice is a rendered parapet with a segmental
raised centre.
The back of this main building has a coped parapet over small
early C18 12-pane sashes and a C20 light to segmental heads; a
slated lean-to addition at the ground floor.
A 4-storey rear block in brick has a felted flat roof and is
in 2 bays, with 12-pane sashes at second and third floors
above a fine Palladian window with Gibbsian arch, pilasters,
and open moulded pediment over 3:12:3-paned sashes. The lowest
floor has a wide 4-pane C20 light. Flank walls are rendered,
and an external steel stair gives access to the link block,
with flat felted roof and rendered wall. At the eaves level is
a tripartite 12-pane sash with wide mullion boxes (but the
first sash modified), above a paired sash, the same, linked
with a flush door under a moulded cornice. Below this is C20
infill. INTERIOR not inspected.
A 1900 photograph in the Museum shows the parapet with 3 large
urns, and with a saddle-back coping.


Listing NGR: SO8926532720

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/182 (West side)
04/03/52 No.2

GV II*

House in row. Early C18. Flemish bond brickwork, tile and felt
roofs. The front block is linked to a square 4-storey block by
an inset unit, all of this of the C18. Beyond is a later brick
addition linked via a late C20 glazed passageway.
Front is 3 storeys, 3-windowed. wide 9-pane sashes at second
floor and 12-pane at first floor each side, but second-floor
centre has a blind oculus with keystones at the cardinal
points, and first floor an arched sash with early C19
interlaced head. All windows are set to the wall face under
rubbed brick voussoirs, and with central fluted keystones with
cornice, and stone cills. The ground floor has symmetrical
4-pane C19 shop front in pilasters and fascia with moulded
cornice between bold consoles. Central recessed glazed door
under a square transom-light. Inside the glass at the set-back
are 2 slender quatrefoil-plan cast-iron columns. Above a stone
modillion cornice is a rendered parapet with a segmental
raised centre.
The back of this main building has a coped parapet over small
early C18 12-pane sashes and a C20 light to segmental heads; a
slated lean-to addition at the ground floor.
A 4-storey rear block in brick has a felted flat roof and is
in 2 bays, with 12-pane sashes at second and third floors
above a fine Palladian window with Gibbsian arch, pilasters,
and open moulded pediment over 3:12:3-paned sashes. The lowest
floor has a wide 4-pane C20 light. Flank walls are rendered,
and an external steel stair gives access to the link block,
with flat felted roof and rendered wall. At the eaves level is
a tripartite 12-pane sash with wide mullion boxes (but the
first sash modified), above a paired sash, the same, linked
with a flush door under a moulded cornice. Below this is C20
infill. INTERIOR not inspected.
A 1900 photograph in the Museum shows the parapet with 3 large
urns, and with a saddle-back coping.


Listing NGR: SO8926532720

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.