History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cirencester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7181 / 51°43'5"N

Longitude: -1.9693 / 1°58'9"W

OS Eastings: 402216

OS Northings: 202156

OS Grid: SP022021

Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.6XR

Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.T28Q

Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 14 June 1948

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365348

Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cirencester

Built-Up Area: Cirencester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text


CIRENCESTER

SP0202 GOSDITCH STREET
578-1/4/213 (South West side)
14/06/48 Unitarian Chapel

GV II

Also known as: Gosditch Street Chapel.
Unitarian chapel, formerly Presbyterian, now disused.
Presbyterians on this site from late C17, present building
altered 1891 and now appears entirely late C19. Cement render
with ashlar dressings; concrete tile hipped roof; stone and
rendered stacks to left slope.
Single-storey with clerestory to left, internal gallery to
right; 5-window range. Five C19 two-light chamfered stone
mullion windows with leaded lights with coloured glass at
first floor level, 3 similar windows to ground floor. Pair of
C19 four-panel doors, now faced with plywood, with leaded
overlight with coloured glass in round-headed opening with
moulded stone surround with flanking pilasters and keystone
bearing false date 1648 with dripstone over. Single-storey
brick lean-to boiler house to left side.
Rear elevation has three 2-light chamfered stone
mullion-and-transom windows with round-headed lights and one
similar window with head now cut off by gallery, two 2-light
chamfered stone mullion windows at first floor level.
INTERIOR has late C19 staircase to former west gallery with
bolection-moulded panelled front, now enclosed by boarding
above and below to form 2 rooms behind. Late C19 stained
softwood fittings include pews and dado-height panelling,
pulpit to end end with C19 panelling behind approached by
winder steps to right. Clock formerly attached to front of
gallery and other furniture and fittings now in care of
Corinium Museum.
(Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C:
Gloucestershire: RCHM: 1986-: P.79).


Listing NGR: SP0221602156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


CIRENCESTER

SP0202 GOSDITCH STREET
578-1/4/213 (South West side)
14/06/48 Unitarian Chapel

GV II

Also known as: Gosditch Street Chapel.
Unitarian chapel, formerly Presbyterian, now disused.
Presbyterians on this site from late C17, present building
altered 1891 and now appears entirely late C19. Cement render
with ashlar dressings; concrete tile hipped roof; stone and
rendered stacks to left slope.
Single-storey with clerestory to left, internal gallery to
right; 5-window range. Five C19 two-light chamfered stone
mullion windows with leaded lights with coloured glass at
first floor level, 3 similar windows to ground floor. Pair of
C19 four-panel doors, now faced with plywood, with leaded
overlight with coloured glass in round-headed opening with
moulded stone surround with flanking pilasters and keystone
bearing false date 1648 with dripstone over. Single-storey
brick lean-to boiler house to left side.
Rear elevation has three 2-light chamfered stone
mullion-and-transom windows with round-headed lights and one
similar window with head now cut off by gallery, two 2-light
chamfered stone mullion windows at first floor level.
INTERIOR has late C19 staircase to former west gallery with
bolection-moulded panelled front, now enclosed by boarding
above and below to form 2 rooms behind. Late C19 stained
softwood fittings include pews and dado-height panelling,
pulpit to end end with C19 panelling behind approached by
winder steps to right. Clock formerly attached to front of
gallery and other furniture and fittings now in care of
Corinium Museum.
(Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C:
Gloucestershire: RCHM: 1986-: P.79).


Listing NGR: SP0221602156

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.