History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Portland, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5614 / 50°33'41"N

Longitude: -2.4334 / 2°26'0"W

OS Eastings: 369396

OS Northings: 73604

OS Grid: SY693736

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.2NY0

Mapcode Global: FRA 57SL.3ST

Entry Name: Chapel

Listing Date: 21 September 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382030

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Civil Parish: Portland

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Castletown

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY6873 THE CITADEL, The Verne
969-1/3/176 Chapel
21/09/78

GV II

Prison chapel, formerly Officers' Mess. c 1865. Possibly by
Capt. W. Crossman, RE, general designer to The Citadel.
Portland stone with roach stone rustication, slate roof. Long
narrow block, main axis E/W. Central porte-cochere south side,
2+3 windows, all C20 steel casement, segmental-headed double
doors in porte-cochere with arched openings, 2 to S and 1 to E
and W. Modillion cornice and blocking course. Back of building
plain, some repairs after wartime bomb damage, 3 eaves stacks
with cappings. Interior much modified, but retains 3-arched
screen to paired columns at east end. The detail is clearly
from the same hand as Officers' Block B (qv); from remaining
foundation walls to the north it would seem that a U-plan
block was originally intended, but there is not evidence of
further progress.


Listing NGR: SY6939673604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


PORTLAND

SY6873 THE CITADEL, The Verne
969-1/3/176 Chapel
21/09/78

GV II

Prison chapel, formerly Officers' Mess. c 1865. Possibly by
Capt. W. Crossman, RE, general designer to The Citadel.
Portland stone with roach stone rustication, slate roof. Long
narrow block, main axis E/W. Central porte-cochere south side,
2+3 windows, all C20 steel casement, segmental-headed double
doors in porte-cochere with arched openings, 2 to S and 1 to E
and W. Modillion cornice and blocking course. Back of building
plain, some repairs after wartime bomb damage, 3 eaves stacks
with cappings. Interior much modified, but retains 3-arched
screen to paired columns at east end. The detail is clearly
from the same hand as Officers' Block B (qv); from remaining
foundation walls to the north it would seem that a U-plan
block was originally intended, but there is not evidence of
further progress.


Listing NGR: SY6939673604

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.