History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Captain's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fortuneswell, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5681 / 50°34'5"N

Longitude: -2.447 / 2°26'49"W

OS Eastings: 368435

OS Northings: 74359

OS Grid: SY684743

Mapcode National: GBR PY.HC7T

Mapcode Global: FRA 57RK.QG9

Entry Name: Captain's House

Listing Date: 17 May 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 381901

Location: Portland, Dorset, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Civil Parish: Portland

Built-Up Area: Fortuneswell

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Portland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Castletown

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY67SE CASTLE ROAD, Castletown
969-1/1/3 (West side (off))
Captain's House

GV II*

Large detached house, adjoining Portland Castle (qv). Between
1816 and 1835, on site of and partly incorporating walls of
former outbuildings to the Castle. Rendered and scribed, slate
roofs. A long single-depth rectangular building in two
storeys, entered on the E, courtyard side. E front in 6 bays,
3-light narrow casements in plat band painted surrounds, and
mostly with protective vertical iron bars; at ground floor bay
2 has plank and batten C19 door, and bay 5 a projecting
Gothick oriel in 3 small-pane casement lights to panelled
crenellations and over panels with plain shields. South end
has margin-pane sashes, at both levels in deep splayed
surrounds, that to ground floor larger than above. West front
has various casements, and some single-storey additions; two
parapet stacks. Hipped slate roofs concealed behind
crenellated parapet above continuous string course.
Crenellations have weathered copings, but over the last two
bays at north end they are without stone dressings. North end,
nearest Castle, has fine Gothick door in narrow panels to ogee
heads, and a margin-pane sash centre first floor. Later
lean-to not of special interest. Interior retains good stick
baluster staircase opposite main entry, and a secondary stair
with turned balusters in NW corner. The house is now that of
the Captain to HMS Osprey, but was the Master Gunner's
residence before it came into the Manning family in 1816, when
it is assumed that the major reconstruction took place. The
site was occupied until then by brewhouse, stable, and
suttler's house.
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 252).


Listing NGR: SY6843574359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.