This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6129 / 53°36'46"N
Longitude: -0.4667 / 0°28'0"W
OS Eastings: 501533
OS Northings: 414020
OS Grid: TA015140
Mapcode National: GBR TV5N.RL
Mapcode Global: WHGG8.SGY4
Entry Name: Church of Saint Clement
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281071
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165955
Location: Worlaby, North Lincolnshire, DN20
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Worlaby
Built-Up Area: Worlaby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Worlaby St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WORLABY TOP ROAD
TA 01 SW
5/48 Church of Saint Clement
Parish church. Cll tower arch, C13 - C14 arcades. Rebuilt 1873-1877 by
W Scott Champion, incorporating re-used medieval masonry and details.
Limestone and ironstone ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings; chalk
interior facing. Slate roof. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south
porch and single-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: diagonal buttresses, moulded
plinth; pointed 2-light traceried west window, traceried single-light
windows with hood-moulds; moulded string course, raised over clockface on
west. Twin square-headed traceried belfry openings, parapet, low 4-sided
spire with iron cross finial. North aisle: chamfered plinth, restored
square-headed 2-light north window with hood-mould and headstops, C19
pointed 3-light and 2-light traceried east and west windows. South aisle:
buttresses to angles and between bays; pointed 3-light traceried windows,
pointed 2-light west window with hood-mould and headstops and pointed east
door with original hood-mould and headstops. Chancel: angle buttresses with
traceried panels and gabled off-sets to east, pointed 3-light traceried
windows. Open timber porch on dwarf ashlar wall with traceried side panels
and decorative bargeboard; pointed double-chamfered inner door. Interior.
Tall Cll round-headed tower arch with chamfered through-imposts. C14 - C15
3-bay north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers
with restored capitals and bases. Late C13 - early C14 south arcade of
pointed double chamfered arches on C19 re-cut filleted quatrefoil pier and
keeled responds with C19 capitals and bases. C19 wooden chancel arch.
Central stained-glass crucifixion panel in east window by Kempe. Late C14
grave slab in vestry with much worn effigy of Lady. Damaged C14 incised
grave slab to civilian and wife at base of tower. Good wall tablet of 1670
in tower to the children of John, Lord Bellasyse: detailed inscription in
carved surround with scrolls, hatchments and arms. Marble wall tablet of
1854 to Captain Augustus Webb, mortally wounded in charge of Light Cavalry
at Balaclava. Disused medieval (probably Romanesque) font in tower with
circular bowl bearing circular and semicircular carved motifs. N Pevsner
and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 430-1.
Listing NGR: TA0153314020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings