History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hugill, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3802 / 54°22'48"N

Longitude: -2.8543 / 2°51'15"W

OS Eastings: 344608

OS Northings: 498633

OS Grid: SD446986

Mapcode National: GBR 8KHS.VL

Mapcode Global: WH82N.452F

Entry Name: Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76470

Location: Hugill, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Hugill

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hugill or Ings St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Staveley

Listing Text

SD 49 NW HUGILL Ings

5/18 Church of St Anne
12/2/62

G.V. II*


Parish Church dated 1743 on plaque, restored and North Transept added in 1877.
Roughly coursed rubble walls, sandstone quoins and window surrounds, graduated
greenslate roof and stone ridge. Stone urns to each corner. 6 bays.
Continuous nave and chancel. Square tower at West end with corniced ashlar
parapet surmounted by 8 stone flaming torches. West entrance in base of tower
has plain classical doorcase with broken pediment enclosing the coat of arms of
Robert Bateman of Reston Hall (q.v.). A plaque over the door is inscribed "This
Chapel was begun to be built Anno Domini 1743 at ye sole expense of Mr Robert
Bateman Merchant of Leghorn Born in this Hamlet but He Dying suddenly the same
year the work was ordered and appointed to be finished by his Executors". C19
studded wooden double doors fitted with wooden lock apparently dated 1682 but
very worn. East window: Venetian with rusticated central architrave within
open and broken pediment; remaining windows: arched heads with keystones and
impost blocks. Interior has coved and panelled ceiling, said to have been
plastered during C19 restoration, with continuous frieze and dentil cornice,
supported by Ionic pillars on pedestals in the chancel. East window, to memory
of Isabella Thompson and signed by Edward Frampton, is flanked by panels with
quotations from the Bible set in C19 Jacobean style panelling; C18 turned altar
rails; brass in chancel commemorating the restoration of 1877 with poem by
Wordsworth to Robert Bateman. Opening in West Tower filled with 3-stage screen
of Corinthian order. Lower stage has round-headed double doors with small
twisted pilasters, flanked by Corinthian pilasters with defaced capitals. Royal
Arms above. Marble floor sent from Italy by Bateman. C18 font with cherub
heads possibly with later pedestal.


Listing NGR: SD4460898633

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.