This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9716 / 54°58'17"N
Longitude: -2.1014 / 2°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 393607
OS Northings: 564110
OS Grid: NY936641
Mapcode National: GBR FBRY.VM
Mapcode Global: WHB2C.P9JK
Entry Name: Pant
Listing Date: 18 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239166
Location: Hexham, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Hexham
Built-Up Area: Hexham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hexham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 9364 1/296
In centre of Market Place. Dated 1901. Memorial to William Angus Temperley.
Replacing Sir Richard Allgood's Pant of 1703. Red sandstone monument with
4 fluted Ionic pilasters, surmounted by tented pediments; small cupola with
a consoled drum; large gilt cross on top. Space between pilasters filled with
low relief vegetation. Quadrangular base with copper plaques - one of which
is inscribed with a poem by W. W. Gibson, of local fame, another has a dedication,
the others carry the arms of Hexham and of Northumberland. Drinking fountain
no longer functions.
St Andrew's Church together with the listed buildings in the Market Place, form a group,
of which Nos 8. 10 and 16 are of local interest.
Listing NGR: NY9360764110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings