This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6978 / 50°41'51"N
Longitude: -3.3048 / 3°18'17"W
OS Eastings: 307942
OS Northings: 89491
OS Grid: SY079894
Mapcode National: GBR P7.4M3M
Mapcode Global: FRA 37Z7.DB2
Plus Code: 9C2RMMXW+43
Entry Name: Ye Olde Tolle House
Listing Date: 26 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352397
Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10
Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford
Built-Up Area: Newton Poppleford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Newton Poppleford St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 NE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HIGH STREET,
AND HARPFORD Newton Poppleford
5/75 Ye Olde Tolle House
Shop, former toll house. Dated 1758. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, brick
stack, and thatch roof.
Small 2-room plan building facing north-west. The right (south-western) room has a
rear lateral stack. There is a storage outshot on the left end. Single storey.
2-window front. Both windows have arched heads. They have glazing bars and the
heads contain tiny rectangular panes of old leaded glass. They are shuttered. At
the right end is an old stable-type door and a C20 shield-shaped plaque to the right
bearing the date 1758. The front of the store at the left end is weatherboarded and
contains a plank door. The roof is hipped each end and carries down continuously
over the store. There are thatch eyebrows over the windows.
Interior not inspected.
This is the oldest surviving toll house in Devon.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY0794289491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings