This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7054 / 50°42'19"N
Longitude: -3.2888 / 3°17'19"W
OS Eastings: 309087
OS Northings: 90316
OS Grid: SY090903
Mapcode National: GBR P7.45FX
Mapcode Global: FRA 4706.SMM
Entry Name: Tucker Chest Tomb Approximately 12 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St Gregory
Listing Date: 26 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352382
Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harpford St Gregory the Great
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HARPFORD
4/60 Tucker chest tomb approximately
- 12 metres south of chancel of
Church of St Gregory
Chest tomb. Dated 1845 in memory of the Rev. Marwood and Charlotte Tucker.
Beerstone. Gothic style chest tomb built as a miniature single cell church. It has
a steeply pitched gable-ended roof carved to emulate scallop-shaped slates. Each
gable is surmounted by a Celtic cross. The eaves cornice is carved as foliage. The
sides and ends have blind Gothic arcades with cusped arches and half-engaged columns
with moulded caps. The west end gable contains a bas relief shield bearing an
heraldic achievement. A similar shield on the east end is plain. The north side is
inscribed with plain capital letters and records the death of the Rev. Marwood
Tucker in 1845 and his wife Charlotte in 1844. An inscription in the west end
records that the tomb was erected by the couple's three sons.
Listing NGR: SY0908790316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings