This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3403 / 52°20'25"N
Longitude: -0.8247 / 0°49'28"W
OS Eastings: 480168
OS Northings: 272010
OS Grid: SP801720
Mapcode National: GBR CWJ.8B6
Mapcode Global: VHDRM.NFCR
Plus Code: 9C4X85RG+44
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360481
Location: Walgrave, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Walgrave
Built-Up Area: Walgrave
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Walgrave St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HIGH STREET (South side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. Late C13, C14 and C17. Squared coursed lias and ashlar limestone with
lead and tiled roof. Aisled nave, chancel, south tranept and west tower.
Chancel: South elevation of 3-window range of tall C14 windows with reticulated
tracery; that to right of 3 lights, others of 2 lights. Window to left is a low
side window with 4 lights in the bottom section with reticulated tracery. South
door below middle window has ogee head. East window of 5 lights with reticulated
tracery. North elevation of 2-window range of 2-light windows with reticulated
tracery. 3- stage ashlar buttresses between windows. Shallow gabled roof with
castellated ashlar parapet. Dated I.L. 1633 on north side. South transept has
3-light south window with Y-tracery and similar 2-light east window. South aisle
has one 2-light window to south with cusped Y-tracery similar west window.
Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. South porch to right of window has shallow
gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and C14 double-chamfered pointed arched
opening. Inside the flanking walls have double blank arcades with centre corbel.
North aisle has 3-window range with Y-tracery and cusping, one of 3-lights to
left and others of 2-lights; similar west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable
parapets and cornice. North porch between windows to right. Similar to south
porch with single chamfered arched openings. Nave clerestory of 3-window range
of square openings with quatrefoils. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable
parapets and finial. West tower late C13 of 3 stages with ashlar angle
buttresses to first and second stages and ashlar corner pilasters to third
stage. 2-light west window in first stage has Y-tracery with cusping. 2-light
bell chamber openings to each face of third stage have quatrefoil circles.
Ashlar broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: Double chamfered chancel
arch without shafts; similar triple chamfered tower arch. 3-bay nave arcade of
C14 double chamfered pointed arches with quatrefoil piers with hollows between
the shafts. South transept, known as the Langham Chapel is probably C17. King
post roofs probably C19. Monuments: South wall of chancel, Montague Lane died
1670; tablet with flanking pillars, cornice and 3 heraldic devices over. North
aisle, mid C19 plain tablet to Shelden family. Floor of nave has two C18 tablets
to Sheldon family. Floor of chancel, incised tablet for brassy south wall of
chancel has inscribed tablet with Latin inscription. Ancient roof boses
displayed on walls of chancel. Font, C19 base probably earlier bowl.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.440).
Listing NGR: SP8016572009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings