This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.45 / 51°27'0"N
Longitude: -2.6227 / 2°37'21"W
OS Eastings: 356821
OS Northings: 172519
OS Grid: ST568725
Mapcode National: GBR C1M.V1
Mapcode Global: VH88M.HT99
Plus Code: 9C3VF92G+2W
Entry Name: Stork House
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282230
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379810
Location: Clifton, Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672NE HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells
901-1/13/1445 (North side)
04/03/77 Nos.288 AND 290
Formerly known as: Nos.288 AND 290 Stork Hotel HOTWELL ROAD
Pair of attached houses, later hotel, now one office. Formerly
dated 1718, but on stylistic grounds the date would be mid
C18. Stucco with limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks
and hipped double-pile pantile roof. Double-depth plan. Late
Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-bay range.
A left-hand symmetrical front with flanking full-height bows
flanking the entrance, and to the right, half of a similar
house with a single bay and right-hand entrance, frieze,
cornice and parapet; doorcases have 3/4 attached columns,
entablature blocks and cornice, semicircular-arched doorways
with fanlights and 6-panel doors. Wide 3-light bows have
6/6-pane sashes, windowless over the left-hand doorway, and a
single second-floor window over the right-hand one; single
right-hand dormer. Rear 9/9-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: half-panelled entrance halls, the right-hand one
divided by a semicircular arch, the left-hand one by a
panelled elliptical arch, to rear open dogleg stairs with
column-on-vase balusters, 3 per tread, moulded, ramped rail
and curtail, with matching wainscot; 4-panel doors, 2-panel
doors upstairs, and panelled shutters; marble fire surrounds
with corner roundels.
HISTORICAL NOTE: reported as having 1718 inscribed above the
middle bow. Unlicenced in 1757, it was for many years a hotel,
and illustrated as such in 1890s. (Winstone)
(Bristol As It Was: Winstone R: Bristol in the 1890s: Bristol:
1960-: RW 167).
Listing NGR: ST5681872521
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings