This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4501 / 51°27'0"N
Longitude: -2.6217 / 2°37'18"W
OS Eastings: 356895
OS Northings: 172529
OS Grid: ST568725
Mapcode National: GBR C2M.30
Mapcode Global: VH88M.HTW7
Entry Name: Haberfield House and Attached Balustrades and Enclosing Walls
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379803
Location: Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672NE HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells
901-1/13/1439 (North side)
Haberfield House and attached
balustrades and enclosing walls
Almshouses, now terrace of 6 houses, each of 4 flats. 1889. By
TS Pope. Brick with limestone dressings, party wall ridge and
gable stacks and a Cornish slate roof. Double-depth plan. Neo
Georgian style. Each of 2 storeys and basement; 3-window
Terrace of symmetrical houses articulated by brick pilasters,
each with a projecting 2-storey pedimented porch with ball
finials, continuous ground-floor string and cornice,
first-floor impost band and a bracketed eaves cornice. The
porch has pilasters, and a doorway set under a segmental arch
with a large scrolled key, plate-glass overlight and 6-panel
door. Mullion windows have ovolo-moulded reveals and 2/2-pane
horned sashes. Tall stacks with cornices.
Matching rear elevation with plain brick openings and side
doorways. Horizontal mouldings continue across the gable ends,
articulated by pilasters into 6 sections with sunken panels, a
pediment to the middle under a raised panel with brackets and
INTERIOR: each block has a central hall and front dogleg stair
with turned balusters and moulded rail, with a half-landing
over a 2-leaf door with stained glass.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement areas have
balustrades of square-section terracotta balusters and
panelled piers; surrounding wall extends approx 200m round
garden and rear entrance yard, a terracotta balustrade over a
panelled retaining wall, an ashlar S entrance with a stepped
gable, heraldic panel and wrought-iron gates, tall piers to
the N entrance with wide cornice, and spear-headed railings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally Lady Haberfield's Almshouses,
named after the patron. A late but well composed and detailed
range, one of Bristol's fine group of almshouses.
Listing NGR: ST5690072528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings