History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hebron Chapel and Attached Railings, Gates and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Bedminster, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4399 / 51°26'23"N

Longitude: -2.6038 / 2°36'13"W

OS Eastings: 358125

OS Northings: 171379

OS Grid: ST581713

Mapcode National: GBR C6Q.3P

Mapcode Global: VH88T.T29J

Entry Name: Hebron Chapel and Attached Railings, Gates and Piers

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379706

Location: Bristol, BS3

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Bedminster

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bedminster

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST315871 HEBRON ROAD, Bedminster
901-1/45/380 (South West side)
Hebron Chapel and attached railings,
gates and piers

II

Also known as: Bedminster Spiritualist Church HEBRON ROAD
Bedminster.
Chapel, now used as offices and studio workshop. Dated 1853.
By Henry Crisp. Limestone ashlar, Pennant rubble with
limestone dressings, roof not visible. Italianate style.
2 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a
pedimented 3-window centre set forward, a rusticated ashlar
ground floor to a cornice, quoins to rubble first floor,
cornice and parapet. 3 semicircular-arched doorways to the
centre, taller in the middle, set in rectangular recesses with
imposts, panelled spandrels and tall raised keys, stained
glass fanlights and 2-leaf, 2-panel doors. Outer
semicircular-arched windows with incised voussoirs, and
semicircular-arched first-floor windows with moulded
architraves. A raised panel in the pediment is inscribed
HEBRON CHAPEL 1853. Returns have 7 windows, the rear pair in
projecting wings 2 bays long, that to right with an open
ground-floor porte cochere of square columns, moulded capitals
and top blocks. The roof has a square louvred cupola. INTERIOR
not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and gates
between end ashlar capped piers. One of the earliest
Italianate chapels in Bristol, and a notable example of its
type.


Listing NGR: ST5812571379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.