History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilston, City of Wolverhampton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5665 / 52°33'59"N

Longitude: -2.0753 / 2°4'31"W

OS Eastings: 394992

OS Northings: 296518

OS Grid: SO949965

Mapcode National: GBR 1RS.VC

Mapcode Global: WHBG0.3R1B

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 20 June 1952

Last Amended: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378366

Location: Wolverhampton, WV14

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Bilston East

Built-Up Area: Bilston

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Bilston St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bilston

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9496 CHURCH STREET, Bilston
895-1/15/7 (North side)
20/06/52 Church of St Leonard

GV II

Church. 1825-6. By Francis Goodwin; restored, 1882-3, by Ewan
Christian. Stucco with parapeted roof. Neo-classical style
influenced by Soane. Nave with canted chancel apse and west
tower. West facade of 5 bays, end and centre bays breaking
forward; top entablature and coped parapet; centre has angle
pilasters; round-headed upper windows have archivolts and
impost band, small-paned glazing, central window in
round-headed recess; central entrance has porch with
channelled rustication, angle pilasters and entablature, eared
architrave and iron gates; inner angles have cast iron plinths
with short columns, possibly for lamps, and lettering: ANNO
DOMINI/ 1826/ FRANCIS GOODWIN/ ARCHITECT; paired inner doors;
flanking square windows and end entrances in eared
architraves; tower has canted angles on base with Greek key
and 4 finials; paired fluted pilaster strips to angles and
fluted frieze and cornice; round-headed louvred bell openings
with clock faces above; top domical vault with enriched
wrought iron cresting and weather vane. 6-bay north and south
elevations have end bays breaking forward and tall
round-headed windows; east end has recessed canted angles and
canted apse; east window.
INTERIOR: mostly by Christian; shallow segmental vault with
Greek relief motifs; galleries to 3 sides with balustraded
parapets; east end has Ionic columns flanking apse. Font,
1673, with shallow, fluted bowl; some early C19 wall monuments
including Mrs Riley (d.1835) by William Weale, medallion and
drapery; Mrs Willim (d.1834), standing figure by altar.
(Shell County Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire: London: 1978-:
P.60-61; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
London: 1974-: P.70).


Listing NGR: SO9499296518

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.