This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5506 / 53°33'2"N
Longitude: -2.0739 / 2°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 395203
OS Northings: 405999
OS Grid: SD952059
Mapcode National: GBR FWYC.TY
Mapcode Global: WHB9C.30QV
Plus Code: 9C5VHW2G+6F
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388888
Location: Waterhead, Oldham, OL4
Electoral Ward/Division: Waterhead
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Waterhead
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90NE CHURCH STREET, Waterhead
780-1/2/100 (West side)
Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1847 by E H Shellard with tower and spire added
later. Coursed and squared rubble, with ashlar dressings and
Welsh slate roof with ridge cresting.
West tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Early
English style. 2 stage west tower with tall lower stage and
West door with shafts and deep moulding. Triple lancet window
above, then a quatrefoil. Paired bell chamber lights in upper
stage, corbel table and brooch spire with lucarnes. Long nave
of 6 bays with lean-to aisles divided by buttresses.
Continuous sill band, and heavy unmoulded blocks between the
windows, possibly unfinished corbel heads. Cornice and
overhanging eaves. Gabled north porch with shafts to doorway.
Trefoiled clerestory windows divided by pilasters. Lower
chancel with stepped lancets to east window with continuous
hoodmould. Gabled vestry to north of chancel.
Interior: nave arcade of 6 bays with clustered banded shafts
and roll moulded capitals. Stumpy wall shafts carry cambered
truss and collar roof with king posts. Painted ceiling. Single
chamfered west door, and paired lancets above, now lighting
base of tower. Shafts as responds to chancel arch, with
painted text over archway.
Chancel refitted 1884: Encaustic tiles, painted panelled
ceiling. Wood traceried reredos. Stained glass: all the
principal windows carry stained glass: in the south aisle, one
by Capronnier dated 1892, and another unsigned but in similar
style, 1880. 2 windows by R.B.Edmondson of Manchester, 1880
and 1897. East window of 1871 in medieval style. North aisle
windows include one by Mayer and Co. of Munich, dated 1906,
1904 by Reuban Bennet of Manchester, and 1906 by Heaton Butler
(Slater: Directory of Oldham: Oldham: 1895-).
Listing NGR: SD9520305999
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings