This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5382 / 53°32'17"N
Longitude: -2.7301 / 2°43'48"W
OS Eastings: 351708
OS Northings: 404865
OS Grid: SD517048
Mapcode National: GBR 9WCJ.QC
Mapcode Global: WH86S.1B6D
Plus Code: 9C5VG7Q9+7X
Entry Name: Lower Tower Hill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389080
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50SW TOWER HILL ROAD
783-1/4/81 (West side)
Lower Tower Hill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. now house. Probably early C17 or earlier, with
added wing dated 1684 on gable, enlarged to rear; damaged by
fire in early C20, and altered. Mostly coursed squared
sandstone, with some thin graduated sandstone rubble, and all
with quoins; stone slate roofs on 2 levels. 2-unit main range
with 2-unit crosswing to left and outshut to rear. 2 storeys,
The main range is very low (virtually one-and-a-half storeys)
and has a ragged vertical joint between the bays, a
Tudor-arched doorway close to the wing, with a chamfered
surround (and now protected by a C20 glazed porch), 2 large
square windows at ground floor with C20 casements, and a small
2-light mullioned window under the eaves slightly to the right
of the door, with a chamfered flush mullion; and its
right-hand gable has a 2-light sliding sash window to the
upper floor. Chimney at junction with wing.
The projecting gable of the wing has a square window at ground
floor, a 2-light mullioned window at 1st floor (both these
like those of the main range), a carved datestone with raised
lettering: H/E M/1684, and a moulded gable coping with a
finial at the apex and the stumps of finials at the corners;
its left return wall has a similar mullioned window at 1st
floor of the front bay and an altered window to the rear bay;
and its rear gable has altered windows on both floors.
The rear outshut, in 2 builds under a deep catslide roof, has
casement windows of 3, 1 and 3 lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but is said to have been rebuilt
following fire damage, the only feature of interest now being
one chamfered beam in the wing; private survey in 1988
recorded upper cruck truss close to junction of main range and
HISTORY: occupied in 1675 by Thomas Hooton, blacksmith
(d.1676), and subsequently by Edward Hooton, yeoman, and his
wife Margaret. Forms group with remains of former barn approx
30m east (qv).
(Private Report and Survey: Miller G: 1988-).
Listing NGR: SD5170804865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings