This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9959 / 51°59'45"N
Longitude: -2.1561 / 2°9'21"W
OS Eastings: 389378
OS Northings: 233062
OS Grid: SO893330
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.V09
Mapcode Global: VH93T.L308
Plus Code: 9C3VXRWV+9H
Entry Name: Boundary Walls and Gateway to Tudor Hotel
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282772
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376800
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8933 HIGH STREET
859-1/5/217 (West side)
27/07/73 Boundary walls and gateway to Tudor
(Formerly Listed as:
Garden wall and gateway immediately
to N of Tudor Hotel)
Boundary walls with gateway, gates and doors. Late C17
gateway, C18 and C20 rebuilt walls and gates. Brick with
ashlar dressings. A short length of wall incorporating the
gateway to High Street, and a longer return to Red Lane,
enclosing a small courtyard to the north side of Tudor Hotel
The High Street run in stretcher bond brickwork with flush
stone quoins and approx 2.5m high, is set slightly forward
from the main front of the Hotel. At its centre is a raised
attic course in ashlar with thin cornice on 2 consoles, and a
blocking course carrying 3 stone balls on pinnacles above an
arched opening with central key, and on stone responds with
caps. A pair of C20 wooden gates is set to the opening, with
the dates 1540 and 1932; the latter representing the date of
the restoration of the gateway.
The longer return stretch to Red Lane is in English bond
brickwork, probably of the early C18, rising to a maximum
approx 3m height with a weathered and oversailing brick
coping. There is a plank door adjoining the gable of the
service block, and to its left an earlier opening, now
blocked. There is a base course in single large stones for
most of this length.
A 1947 photograph in the NMR shows the gate set to all ashlar
walling to High Street, with very worn stonework to the
archway, and shrub overgrowth to the wall top.
(National Monuments Record: 1947-).
Listing NGR: SO8937833062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings