This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.991 / 51°59'27"N
Longitude: -2.1609 / 2°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 389045
OS Northings: 232516
OS Grid: SO890325
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0J4
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H7G1
Plus Code: 9C3VXRRQ+9J
Entry Name: Royal British Legion Club
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376688
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 CHURCH STREET
859-1/6/108 (South side)
Royal British Legion Club
(Formerly Listed as:
British Legion Club)
Formerly known as: Mason's Arms CHURCH STREET.
Club building, formerly an inn. Late C15, much modified C19
and earlier. Timber-framing, brickwork, tile roofs.
PLAN: formerly part of the extended row Nos 35-51 (qv), this
was end of terrace; long jettied block, now under-built to
street, with deep wing to back.
EXTERIOR: street front 2 storeys and basement, 4-windowed. At
first floor, in braced box framing, C18 three-light and
2-light casements with horizontal bars to No.50, and 2 triple
2-light casements with central unit taken down to bressumer
level to No.51.
Ground floor, in brickwork, has 4:12:4-pane triple sash and a
multi-pane C18 shop front to No.50 returned to deep-set early
3-plank door in heavy post framing and to cusped flat ogee
head. Two 2-light and one 3-light casement with bars, and
6-panel door to No.51. Cellar grille far left; small brick
stack in front of ridge near left end. Right return is plain
brick with raised brick-coped gable on kneeler.
Deep back wing to framed gable end, in 2 storeys, with large
eaves stack and small ridge stack. Overlooking adjoining No.49
(qv) are various casements, and an early 2-light gabled
dormer. Back of main block with various additions.
INTERIOR not fully inspected; roof structure said to be
concealed but assumed to be as in other parts of the terrace.
Remains of wide C18 fireplace with shouldered architrave,
heavy chamfered beams, a panel of wattle and daub under glass
frame, and early plank door to cellar. In a back room a very
wide but blocked fireplace. Some heavy braced framing, but
much is concealed by later ceilings and panelling.
Of outstanding interest as part of a medieval terrace, built
as a speculative development for Abbey (qv). Unlike others in
the terrace (qqv 35-38 & 41-48) the early structure has not
been opened up in this property, but it was clearly part of
the whole terrace, and is graded accordingly; the recessed
placing of the early door shows extent of the former jettying.
Listing NGR: SO8904232508
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings