This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.018 / 51°1'4"N
Longitude: -4.2072 / 4°12'25"W
OS Eastings: 245282
OS Northings: 126611
OS Grid: SS452266
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J40W
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.8RL
Entry Name: Bank House
Listing Date: 19 March 1973
Last Amended: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375839
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 HIGH STREET
842-1/5/128 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Old Bank House)
Office building with shops; formerly a bank. Mid C19, possibly
incorporating earlier fabric. Solid rendered front. Roof not
visible from street. Rendered chimney on right gable-end.
Double-depth plan, 2 rooms wide, with rear stair compartment
to centre and rear left wing.
3 storeys with basement; symmetrical 5-window range.
Segmental-headed centre doorway with inset columns having
foliated capitals; enriched imposts; moulded archivolt with
large carved keystone. Shop front at either side, probably
mid/late C19. Upper-storey windows segmental-headed with
bracketed sills and moulded architraves; plain sashes.
Flanking the whole front a pair of horizontally-channelled
pilasters rising to a moulded top cornice. Tall parapet,
rising in centre over raised inscription BANK HOUSE.
INTERIOR: early C18-style wooden staircase with turned
balusters and broad flat handrail; probably not original,
certainly with C19 or C20 features. First-floor rooms have C19
moulded cornices; good grey marble chimneypiece with original
round-arched iron grate in rear right-hand room. Second floor
has good mid/late C19 chimneypieces with iron grates. Back
staircase, now leading up from first floor of No 67, has
re-set early C18 balustrade with turned balusters and heavy
moulded handrail; opposing balustrade is C19 in roughly
Directories of 1870 and 1878 show the West of England and
South Wales District Bank at this address; bank-vaults are
said to survive in the basement. The site is not marked as a
bank on the 1st-edition 25in OS Map, surveyed in 1886.
Listing NGR: SS4528626621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings