This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4847 / 53°29'5"N
Longitude: -2.2375 / 2°14'14"W
OS Eastings: 384337
OS Northings: 398694
OS Grid: SJ843986
Mapcode National: GBR DLF.6T
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.LNRW
Plus Code: 9C5VFQM7+V2
Entry Name: Former Wholesale Fish Market
Listing Date: 8 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388186
Location: Piccadilly, Manchester, M4
Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8498 HIGH STREET
698-1/17/163 (North side)
08/10/73 former Wholesale Fish Market
Includes: No.79 HIGH STREET.
Includes: Nos.9 TO 19 THOMAS STREET.
Wholesale fish market with front range of shops and offices;
the market building now reduced to its outer walls. Dated 1873
on High Street facade; partly demolished. Red brick in Flemish
bond with sandstone dressings, slate roof (front range only).
Large rectangular plan with front range at west end, site of
market to rear of this. Romanesque style. The High Street
(south) facade of the former market consists of 4 wide gables,
each gable a symmetrical 3-bay composition, with rusticated
stone plinth, stone sill-bands and imposts, and stepped gable
with Lombard frieze and pitched stone copings with apex
finial: a large round-headed archway flanked by round-headed
windows, all with slender stone shafts which have foliated
caps and stone surrounds to the heads, the central arches with
wrought-iron gates and segmental lintels with inscriptions,
and carved tympana depicting different episodes of a fishing
voyage. One lintel inscribed "OPENED:14:FEB:1873:BOOTH:MAYOR"
and the others "WHOLESALE:FISH:MARKETS". North side similar.
The front block (9 to 19 Thomas Street), a 3-storey 9-bay
range, symmetrical, the centre and end bays breaking forwards
slightly and the ends with attics, has a central pedimented
doorway and C20 shop fronts at ground floor, arcades of large
round-headed arched windows at 1st floor, 2- and 3-light
sashed windows at 2nd floor with shafts which have carved
capitals, a moulded brick frieze and stone cornice, a
pedimented upstand in the centre, tall corniced chimneys
between the bays, and gabled dormers over the outer bays;
rounded corners with doorways at ground floor, curved 3-light
windows in enriched stone surrounds on both upper floors,
balustraded parapets, and mansard roofs with wrought-iron
cresting. One-bay returned ends in similar style.
Listing NGR: SJ8433798694
Other nearby listed buildings