This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4782 / 53°28'41"N
Longitude: -2.2523 / 2°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 383350
OS Northings: 397972
OS Grid: SJ833979
Mapcode National: GBR DGJ.Z4
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.CTPX
Plus Code: 9C5VFPHX+73
Entry Name: No. 14, BYROM STREET
Listing Date: 30 March 1989
Last Amended: 1 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387959
Location: Manchester, M60
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
698-1/30/855, BYROM STREET, 14
(Formerly listed as: BYROM STREET 20 AND 22)
Range of offices constructed to service neighbouring County Court. Dated 1896 over doorway; architect unknown. Red brick laid in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings, green slate roof. Rectangular plan laid at right-angle to Byrom Street with long side over-looking St John's Churchyard. Two storeys, three-over-one windows; with a gabled entrance bay to far right of east elevation facing Byrom Street. This has a round-headed doorway which has a stone architrave including banded Ionic pilasters, a pulvinated frieze with raised lettering 'ad/1896', a dentil cornice and a pediment containing carving including the initials 'V R', and at first floor a round-headed window with stone bands and voussoirs, and a shaped gable with a finial. The three-window range has a battered stone plinth and nine-over-one sash windows on both floors; those at ground floor with raised stone sills and flat-arched heads with triple keystones and those above with moulded architraves. The left corner has a splayed ashlar ground floor with a keyed oculus. The left corner has (inter alia) a large Venetian-style window at first floor with a stone architrave including a balustraded pseudo-balcony; and beyond that a six-window range with regular fenestration matching that at the front. Interior not inspected.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
No.14 Byrom Street, constructed in 1896 as offices for the County Court on Quay Street, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: It is a well-executed building incorporating a high level of attention to detail and good architectural features, including moulded architraves, shaped gables, a pedimented doorway and large Venetian-style window with balustraded pseudo-balcony, and a splayed ground floor corner with a keyed oculus
* Group value: It has a strong visual, historical and functional relationship with the grade II* listed County Court building (originally a town house) on Quay Street that it was constructed to serve
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings