History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Gorton South, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4456 / 53°26'44"N

Longitude: -2.1798 / 2°10'47"W

OS Eastings: 388157

OS Northings: 394334

OS Grid: SJ881943

Mapcode National: GBR DZW.NT

Mapcode Global: WHB9P.HN7C

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387926

Location: Manchester, M19

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Gorton South

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Levenshulme St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heaton Chapel

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SE BARLOW ROAD, Levenshulme
698-1/9/722 (South East side)
Church of St Mark

II

Church. 1908, by C.T.Taylor. Red brick in English bond, with
dressings of matt white terracotta, red tiled roof. Arts and
Crafts style with Art Nouveau detailing. Low nave and aisles
under 3-span roof, with south-west tower, west baptistery,
south chapel and north organ house continued from aisles,
chancel. The short 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and
emphatic bands has a depressed arched west doorway and a
similar arch in the east side containing a small window, a
clockface in the 2nd stage, depressed arched 3-light louvred
belfry windows to the 3rd stage with weathered sills, and
terracotta Art Nouveau battlements. The baptistery to the left
is canted, the upper half in terracotta with mullioned windows
of 2, 3 and 2 lights. The west end of the nave above this has
a depressed arched 5-light traceried window, a gable with
terracotta patterning and coping with kneelers, and to the
left a broad pilaster with checker-board patterning. The south
aisle and chapel, 5+2 bays, and the north aisle and organ
house, 2+2 bays, have battered buttresses; the aisles have
segmental-pointed 3-light mullioned windows with arched outer
lights, while the chapel has 3-light mullion and transom
windows; and the chancel has a large 5-light window with Arts
and Crafts tracery. Interior: arcades of cylindrical
terracotta piers with Art Nouveau pendent decoration, moulded
caps and 2-centred arches; very wide depressed chancel arch,
organ house arch and chapel arch with quatrefoil piers and
convex springing to the arches; nave with gently raked floor
and wooden barrel vaulted roof with brattished beams; sedilia
and piscina with terracotta tracery; pitch-pine pews all
furnished with hinged brass umbrella brackets.


Listing NGR: SJ8815794334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.