This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0611 / 52°3'40"N
Longitude: -1.3397 / 1°20'22"W
OS Eastings: 445368
OS Northings: 240511
OS Grid: SP453405
Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.Q46
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.QGM9
Plus Code: 9C4W3M66+F4
Entry Name: F B Hancock Solicitors
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Last Amended: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244381
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Built-Up Area: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HORSE FAIR (East side)
No.24 (F.B. Hancock,Solicitors)
(Formerly listed as No.24 (Vicarage))
Vicarage, now offices. Datestones 1649/SW and HB/1860. Originally C17 and
earlier, extended and altered in C19. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply
pitched slate roof Stone ridge and end stacks, stone copings. 2 storeys plus
attic. 2-window range. Gabled 2-storey stone porch to right has 4-centred arched
head with quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels. 2-light stone mullioned window
to first floor. To left "a 2-storey bay window with 5-lights to both floors.
Crenellated parapet dated 1967/D.I.T.E. Between the bay window and porch are
4-light stone mullion windows to both floors. Continuous hood moulds to both
floors. 2 large gabled attic dormers each have 3-light stone mullions, windows
with hood moulds and label stops. Copings and kneelers. 2-light stone mullion
windows to cellar. Gothic Revival wing to north side dated HB/1860 has stone
mullioned and transomed windows with traceried heads and 5 gabled attic dormers
with bargeboards and pendants. Rear: Rebuilt using original ironstone. Interior:
C17 stone fireplace with inglenooks and moulded bressumer, wooden winder and
dog-leg stairs. C19 fireplace in hall has panelled, coved hood, Pointed, arched
niches on first floor probably for candles. Datestone 1649/SW attributed to
Samuel Wells, Vicar of Banbury. Datestone HB/1860 attributed to Henry Back,
Vicar of Banbury 1860-81.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.443; V.C.H.:Oxfordshire, Vol.X,
Listing NGR: SP4536840515
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings