This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7119 / 51°42'42"N
Longitude: -1.5899 / 1°35'23"W
OS Eastings: 428431
OS Northings: 201546
OS Grid: SP284015
Mapcode National: GBR 5V3.LVK
Mapcode Global: VHC0D.D7BG
Plus Code: 9C3WPC66+Q2
Entry Name: Widford House
Listing Date: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253779
Location: Clanfield, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Clanfield
Built-Up Area: Clanfield
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CLANFIELD MAIN ROAD
SP2801-2901 (West side)
8/33 Widford House
House. 1856 by Henry Newman, a local builder for himself; incorporates part of
an earlier building; minor later additions and alterations. Rock-faced regularly
coursed and dressed limestone with ashlar angle quoins to 1856 house, roughly
coursed rubble to earlier part; stone slate roofs with stepped coped verges on
stone carved kneelers. Eclectic Gothic style. 3 storeys and gable-lit attic with
moulded eaves cornice. 2:1:2 bays with full-height gabled break to centre.
Windows to ground and first floors all 6-paned sashes and fixed-light windows to
second floor, except for centre bay which has Gothic-traceried sash windows;
moulded segmental heads with segmental-pointed relieving arches to ground- and
first-floor windows, except for centre bay which has round-headed arch.
Second-floor windows all with shouldered arches except for centre window which
has pointed arch with Gothic tracery. Cusped trefoil to attic of gable and 2 to
each gable end. Central entrance; richly moulded pointed arch-way with hoodmould
and one order of imitation Purbeck-marble nook-shafts; contemporary nail-studded
plank door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges. Rectangular overlight with
cusped top corners and superscribed datestone "AD HN 1856" within
segmental-pointed relieving arch. Integral end stacks have 3 attached shafts
with moulded capping. Lower earlier range attached to left gable end, re-fronted
in 1856, has segmental-headed 2-light stone mullion window to left and
steep-pitched gabled porch to right, doorway now infilled and C20 casement
inserted. Contemporary lean-to former coach house, extending to rear, attached
to right gable end of main range. Interior. Not inspected but likely to be of
interest. Roughcast additions (c.1914) to rear of main range and late C20
flat-roofed projection attached to earlier range are not of special
architectural interest. Also known locally as The High House.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp546-7)
Listing NGR: SP2843101546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings