This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9721 / 51°58'19"N
Longitude: 0.9863 / 0°59'10"E
OS Eastings: 605221
OS Northings: 234610
OS Grid: TM052346
Mapcode National: GBR SM9.B67
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.1PSL
Plus Code: 9F32XXCP+RG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277213
Location: Stratford St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Stratford St. Mary
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0534 STRATFORD ST MARY B1029
Church of St Mary
Church. C14 chancel with later alterations. C15 nave aisles. C16 clerestory,
northchancel chapel and porch, the latter dated 1532. Tower C15-C16 largely
rebuilt C19. Restoration 1876-9 by H Woodyer. Knapped flint with ashlar dres-
sings. Plain tile chancel roof, rest concealed. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave
with north porch and 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels. 3-stage tower
with stair to north-west angle. Ashlar plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, string
course to each stage. 3-light bell stage with intersecting tracery beneath
gables. Angle pinnacles and flushwork embattled parapet. Similar parapet to
clerestory, aisles and chancel chapels. Nave: plinth, offset buttresses. South
aisle renewed 4-centred Perpendicular traceried windows under flushwork arches.
North aisle: flushwork inscription to donor: ORATE PRO ANIMABUS THOME MORS ET
MARGARETE UXORIS EJUS QUI ESTIAM ALAM FFIERI FE (VERUNT ANNO DNI MCCCC LXXXXVLIII)
latter part obscured by later porch. At higher level an alphabet in flushwork.
Further inscriptions to buttresses. 4-centred restored Perpendicular traceried
windows, hoodmoulds with headstops under flushwork arches. String course and
gargoyles. Porch: ashlar plinth, flushwork walls. Offset diagonal buttresses
with cusped ogee niches and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and date shield
to centre 1532 JS. 4-centred moulded arch with colonnettes to inner order under
square label, encircled quatrefoils with shields and mouchettes in spandrels.
Surmounted by a niche with cusped nodding ogee arch flanked by pinnacles. Con-
tinuously-moulded side arches originally open, now blocked by traceried windows of
1876-9. Nave north door continuously-moulded with slender colonette supporting
central order of arch under restored square label with enriched spandrels.
Clerestory: 4-centred 2-light Perpendicular windows with transoms, flushwork
walls. Gabled chancel with east window of 1876-9, offset diagonal buttresses.
North aisle inscribed to donor: PRAYE FOR THE SOULLYS OF EDWARD MORS AND ALYS HIS
WIFE AND ALL CRYTEN SOWLLYS ANNO DOMINI 1530. 4-centred Perpendicular traceried
east window. South aisle: 4-centred panelled Perpendicular traceried east window.
Interior: nave arcades diagonally-set square piers on tall bases with hollow-
moulded polygonal shafts to nave and aisles and colonnettes to east and west with
capitals. Wide mouldings between shafts run into arches without capitals,
4-centred arcade. Hoodmoulds with ogee apexes which rise into shafts to clere-
story level. Half-octagonal shafts rise from the arcade piers to capitals at
clerestory level and support the short posts and arch braces of the roof. Similar
detailing to aisles. Stringcourse, splayed clerestory. C19 chancel arch, stairs
to rood loft survive to south. Chancel: similar detailing to nave. Cusped ogee
piscina. Parclose screens incorporating some medieval fabric. Medieval grave
slab. Black ledger slab to south chapel dated 1698 with hatchment of Nicolas Brage and
another to Robert Clarke d.1731. Nave roof cambered with moulded ridge piece,
purlins and joists, tie beams with bosses. Restored angel carvings to ridge and
further wooden figures above capitals on which the roof posts are supported.
Thomas Mors, clothier, in his will of 1500 requested burial in the N aisle which
he had built and left money for the clerestory. Edward his son (d.1526) left
money for the N chapel to be built in the form of the S chapel. John Constable
view of church showing open-sided porch c.1798
Listing NGR: TM0522134610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings