This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3943 / 52°23'39"N
Longitude: 1.4404 / 1°26'25"E
OS Eastings: 634175
OS Northings: 282929
OS Grid: TM341829
Mapcode National: GBR WLN.YT2
Mapcode Global: VHM6V.X2CW
Entry Name: White House
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282288
Location: All Saints and St. Nicholas, South Elmham, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: All Saints and St. Nicholas, South Elmham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Rumburgh with South Elmham All Saints St Michael and All Angels and St Felix
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
SOUTH ELMHAM ALL SAINTS' COMMON
TM 38 SW ALL SAINTS & ST. NICHOLAS
4/28 White House
Former farmhouse. Circa 1600. 2 storeys and attics; 3-cell plan with an
original cross-entry and a later lobby-entrance, both,in use. Timber-framed
and rendered; thatched roof. The internal chimney stack has 4 attached
hexagonal shafts. Various old 3-light and 2-light casements windows, one with
a transome; above the lobby, a small 3-light original window with diamond
mullions. On the back wall, 3 4-light and one 5-light original windows to the
first floor with ovolo-moulded mullions. Plank door, with applied pilaster
strips, to the cross-entry; a C20 open 'rustic' porch to the lobby entrance.
Interior with very good timbering, and a remarkable survival of original
features. Wide studding, with a middle rail; main posts with long jowls, and
arched braces in situ. Main beam in hall with ovolo-moulding and curved stops
with jewel, all on a large scale; in the parlour, ovolo-moulded main beam and
plain unchamfered joists, set flat. In the hall, a plain timber lintel;keyed
for later plaster; in the parlour, a 4-centred brick arch to the fireplace.
The service area was formerly divided into 2: one 3-light diamond-mullioned
window in the gable wall, and an adjoining 4-light window with ovolo-moulded
mullions, possibly a replacement. There are 2 fireplaces on the upper floor,
and the upper ceilings, with joists set on edge, are original. Roof in 6
bays: clasped purlins, diminished principals, windbraces. An original 6-light
diamond-mullioned window in the attic, partly blocked.
Listing NGR: TM3417582929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings