This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4162 / 51°24'58"N
Longitude: -1.7763 / 1°46'34"W
OS Eastings: 415650
OS Northings: 168600
OS Grid: SU156686
Mapcode National: GBR 4X6.1QS
Mapcode Global: VHB46.5N8P
Entry Name: Clatford Hall
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311366
Location: Preshute, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Preshute
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 16 NE PRESHUTE CLATFORD
10/114 Clatford Hall
House. Later C16, early and mid C19. Sarsen with limestone
dressings, refaced in Bath stone in early-mid C19. Slate roof.
Two storeys and attics. North front 3-storeys of 9 window bays,
entrance within Doric portico in fourth bay, and large 6-panelled
door. Twelve-paned sashes with concealed boxes, some C20
restorations, and 9-pane blind sashes to attic storey. Blind
windows in sixth and eighth bays. Rear elevation with two and
central gabled bays, with 2-light hollow moulded stone windows with
label mouldings, some replaced with later windows, and mid C18
bolection moulded doorcase with broken pediment, and narrow
rusticated sides. To right of door, hollow string moulding,
carried round projecting east wing, probably early C17 work. Rear
wing also at west end, 2 bays, 2-storey mid C19, of diaper
brickwork and slated roof. Central 4-panelled door with overlight
and 3-light segmental headed windows.
Interior: Central bays have large stone stack with stone moulded
fireplace to ground floor, and ballflower in each spandrel.
Internal timber framed partition forming screen to cross passage,
clad in C19 panelling. Stone fireplace reset to east drawing room.
Moulded oak doorcase on first floor to upper parlour, fully
panelled, with some original scumbled graining, restored in the
rest of the room. Roof with windbraces to purlins, and east wing
of four bays, also windbraced. The house probably occupies the
site of a cell of the alien priory of St Victoire en Caux. The
house was probably erected by a cadet branch of the Goddard family
who acquired the manor in 1562. The extension may be the 'new
dwelling house' of 1689.
(Unpublished history by owner, Mrs. Bloomfield)
Listing NGR: SU1565068600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings