This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.173 / 51°10'22"N
Longitude: -1.7804 / 1°46'49"W
OS Eastings: 415448
OS Northings: 141553
OS Grid: SU154415
Mapcode National: GBR 503.DNV
Mapcode Global: VHB5C.3S44
Plus Code: 9C3W56F9+6R
Entry Name: Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321357
Location: Amesbury, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Amesbury
Built-Up Area: Amesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Amesbury St Mary and St Melor
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
AMESBURY HIGH STREET
11/45 No 32 (Old Grammar School)
Rose's Charity Grammar School, now private house. Late C18.
Chalkstone and brick, the front roughcast and painted. Tiled
roof. Two storeys and attic, two narrow bays to front, with 3 bay
rear wing. Entrance central to rear cross wing. Front has plat
band and brick dentilled eaves, and 16-pane replacement sashes to
ground floor, 12-paned to first floor with flush boxes and applied
timber shutters. Gable stack to left and roof half hipped to
right. Hipped dormer. Rear block is of chalk blocks with brick
quoins. Six panelled door, 12-paned sashes and one 16-paned, and
gable stack. One dormer. Interior has C18 doors on ground floor.
Rear range has diminished principals to roof with one tie and
clasped purlins. Joseph Addison, poet, essayist and-statesman, is
said to have attended the grammar school while in the south
transept of the church, before being transferred here in 1807.
Listing NGR: SU1544841553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings