This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2309 / 51°13'51"N
Longitude: -1.9563 / 1°57'22"W
OS Eastings: 403150
OS Northings: 147965
OS Grid: SU031479
Mapcode National: GBR 3XR.Q7M
Mapcode Global: VHB52.1BN8
Entry Name: Dean and Chapter House
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284629
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319883
Location: Tilshead, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Tilshead
Built-Up Area: Tilshead
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
TILSHEAD HIGH STREET
SU 04 NW
1/274 Dean and Chapter House
Detached house. Cl7 and early C18, front wall rebuilt late C18.
English garden wall bond brick, timber-framing and cob, thatched
roof with gable end brick stacks. 2-storey, 3-window. Central 6-
panelled door in C19 porch with tiled roof, either side is 24-
pane sash with segmental head. First floor has three 24-pane
sashes. Brick incised with TL 1785, dates rebuilding of wall.
Right return is rendered and windowless. Left return is cob, no
windows, but attached C19 lean-to with pantiled roof. Rear is
rendered timber-frame; one 2-light and two 3-light casements to
ground floor, first floor has three 3-light casements.
Interior said to have deeply chamfered beams and Cl7 roof with
reused smoke-blackened timbers. The property of Salisbury Dean and
Chapter in C18 and C19 and leased by them to Oswald Kite in 1728,
as newly built. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU0315047965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings