History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Church of St George

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hatford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6511 / 51°39'4"N

Longitude: -1.514 / 1°30'50"W

OS Eastings: 433719

OS Northings: 194817

OS Grid: SU337948

Mapcode National: GBR 6X9.G1B

Mapcode Global: VHC0M.PRZL

Plus Code: 9C3WMF2P+F9

Entry Name: The Old Church of St George

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250931

Location: Hatford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Hatford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanford-in-the-Vale with Goosey and Hatford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


SU39SW (North side)
5/101 The Old Church of St. George

Church. Mid C12, chancel remodelled in late C13. Uncoursed limestone rubble with
late C19 buttressing; late C19 tiled roof. Nave and chancel; bell turret
demolished in 1873. Late C13 three-light stepped east window; south chancel wall
has late C13 one- and 2-light windows flanking mid C12 priest door with
splayed architrave; north chancel wall has mid C19 one-light lancet and one
one-light square window. South wall of nave has one early C16 four-light window
with arched heads and one late C13 one-light window. Mid C12 south doorway has
C19 plank door retaining mid C12 decorative hinges with flattened beasts head
terminals; scalloped capitals zig-zag decoration to arch; stone slate water
tabling over door. In top left corner of north wall is C17 sundial on chalk
block. North wall of nave has one late C13 four-light window with restored
mullions. One late C13 one-light window and doorway with pointed arch and
splayed architrave. Late C13 two-light west window much restored c.1970 with a
high transom cutting across the top of the cusped lights. Interior: Mid C17
panelling behind altar, C17 and C18 ledger stones on floor, especially slate
ledgers with brass shields, achievements and inscriptions to Francis Piggot,
1614, Martha Piggot, 1629, and Margaret Piggot, 1637; wall tablet to John and
Elizabeth Tyrell, d.1762 and 1760; in north wall is carved head and shallow
pointed arch with moulded architrave over late C13 effigy, his hands holding his
heart and his feet resting on a hound. Chancel has late C15 three-bay crown post
roof. Mid C12 chancel arch with scalloped capitals. Nave has stone flag floor
and late C19 three-bay queen post roof. At west end of nave is mausoleum for the
Rev. Samuel Paynter, d.1893. Paired grey granite Doric columns support west
gallery, red granite sarcophagus.
(Buildings of England:. Berkshire, p.154; H.T. Morley, Monumental Brasses of
Berkshire, 1924, p.127; V.M. Howse, Hatford: A Parish Record, 1976, pp.27-40).

Listing NGR: SU3371994817

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.