This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6011 / 51°36'3"N
Longitude: -1.1244 / 1°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 460743
OS Northings: 189502
OS Grid: SU607895
Mapcode National: GBR 911.JKG
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.G0GX
Plus Code: 9C3WJV2G+C7
Entry Name: The Lamb Arcade
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249227
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD CASTLE STREET
SU6089NE, SU6089SE (East side)
10/63, 11/63 The Lamb Arcade
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Lamb Inn,
Coaching inn, now arcade of shops. Mid C17 to rear. Early C18 front range, late
C19 additions to rear, C20 alterations. Rendered brick plinth; grey brick with
red brick dressings; old plain-tile roof; brick end stacks. Courtyard plan.
3-storey, 5-window range to High Street. Central basket-arched carriage opening
having stone dropped keystone, with C20 glazed doors forming recessed porch.
12-pane unhorned sashes with segmental brick heads with keystones to ground and
first floors. Painted flat band between ground and first floors. 9-pane unhorned
sashes with segmental brick heads with keystones to second floor. Dentil course
to eaves. Left return: mid C17 to centre, end of early C18 range to right, late
C19 range to left. Rendered plinth; red brick to right; render, on timber
framing to centre; C19 red brick to left; render, probably on brick, to first
floor left. 3-storey end of range to right. 2 storeys and attic; 8-window range
to centre. 2 angled bays with horizontal sashes to right. 5-light wood ovolo
mullioned window to left of centre. 3-light window to left. Jettied first floor.
12-pane unhorned sash to left. 4-light wood ovolo moulded window to left. Pair
of 16-pane unhorned sashes to left of centre. Two 4-light wood ovolo mullioned
windows to centre. Pair of 16-pane unhorned sashes to right of centre. 2 jettied
cross-gables to left and right of centre with 4-light casements. C19 extension
to left: 2-storey, 2-window range of irregular fenestration. Interior: C20
dog-leg staircase with landings. Areas of timber-framing visible to interior.
Some blocked fireplaces. Early C18 addition to right of High Street front, which
has probably formerly part of adjoining property, National Westminster Bank
(q.v.). 3-storey, single-window range. Tripartite sashes to each floor. Flat
brick between ground and first floors and between first and second floors.
Cornice and parapet to eaves. History: Silvanus Wiggins, landlord, entertained
William of Orange, en route to London to take the crown, in 1688.
('Some Notes on the Domestic Architecture of Wallingford, Berkshire" by P.S.
Stokes in "Berkshire Archaeological Journal", Vol.50, 1947).
Listing NGR: SU6074389502
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings