History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Walsham le Willows, Bury Saint Edmunds, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3016 / 52°18'5"N

Longitude: 0.932 / 0°55'55"E

OS Eastings: 600009

OS Northings: 271098

OS Grid: TM000710

Mapcode National: GBR SH5.NGT

Mapcode Global: VHKD2.3DLZ

Plus Code: 9F428W2J+JR

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 15 April 1954

Last Amended: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281772

Location: Walsham-le-Willows, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Walsham-le-Willows

Built-Up Area: Walsham Le Willows

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Walsham-le-Willows St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash


TM 07 SW

The Priory


Parsonage house. Early C16, with substantial extensions of 1904. Timber-
framed and rendered, plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys and attics; cellars to older
range. The north front has 2 stacks of chimneys, one set just within the west
gable with 4 barrel shafts on a corbelled rectangular base, the other, set
internally, with 2 similar shafts. One late C17 2-light casement window with
square leading to the upper floor and 3 similar blocked windows. A gabled 2-
storey porch, jettied along 3 sides, with C19 fluted bargeboards and spike
finial, contains the entrance door: Edwardian, 4-panel, the top 2 glazed with
Gothic heads to lights, the bottom 2 raised and fielded. To each side of the
porch, a single-storey lean-to with 2-light C20 casement windows, square
leaded. The 1904 extension forms a large mock-timbered wing at the east end
of the house and the south (garden) front has ornate fenestration largely of
that date: 2 gabled dormers with fluted bargeboards and spike finials, 2-light
upper windows with margin pane glazing, paired 2-light ground floor windows
with ornate Gothic heads to lights. A full height gabled porch with double
doors. The C16 range lies to left and right of the entrance porch. To the
left, the 2-bay ground-floor room has an ogee-moulded main beam with run-off
stops and additional applied mouldings. The post heads bear carved shields,
one with the words SWR RICHARD, the other with ALDRIH CHANU, but the date is
missing. Sir Richard Aldrich was one of the Canons at Ixworth Priory, and
became incumbent of Walsham after the Dissolution. Small wooden shields
attached to the fireplace lintel, one carved with a heart and arrows, the
other with a hand bearing a heart, may have no direct connection with the
house. To the right of the entrance a 2-bay room with a double roll-moulding
to the main beam and cornice. Below this is the original cellar which has a
large open fireplace with plain timber lintel. On the upper floor one ceiling
has ogee-moulded cross-beams with run-off stops, the other, plain cross-beams.
The porch room has a cambered ceiling, ogee moulded. The early C19 main stair
has stick balusters, plain handrail, open string and moulded tread ends.

Listing NGR: TM0000971098

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.