This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7561 / 51°45'21"N
Longitude: -1.1551 / 1°9'18"W
OS Eastings: 458415
OS Northings: 206714
OS Grid: SP584067
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z2.W86
Mapcode Global: VHCXW.X4Q3
Plus Code: 9C3WQR4V+CX
Entry Name: Shotover Park
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246599
Location: Forest Hill with Shotover, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Forest Hill with Shotover
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
FOREST HILL WITH SHOTOVER SHOTOVER
5/79 Shotover Park
Country house. c.1715-20 for James Tyrrell Snr. and General James Tyrrell,
possibly by William Townesend of Oxford; extended 1855 by Joshua Sims.
Colourwashed limestone ashlar; Westmorland- and Welsh-slate roofs with stone
stacks. Double-depth plan, extended. 2 storeys plus attics and basement.
7-window C18 front, incorporated in present 15-window front, breaks forward in
the centre 3 bays and has rusticated quoin strips and a heavy entablature, above
which the bays of the attic storey are marked by pilaster strips; windows at
ground and first floors have moulded architraves, floating cornices and sills
supported on consoles. The Ionic pedimented porch is probably mid C19 and the
arched doorway and flanking arched windows may also be alterations. Flanking
4-bay C19 wings are of one storey plus attics with similar details. Roofs are
hipped and partly concealed behind parapets. Rear is without the central break
and stands on a rusticated arcaded basement forming an open loggia beneath the
main block. Arcades of side wings, which are set well back, are original and
were later infilled and extended upwards. Loggia has a plaster ribbed vault with
foliage and trophy roundels and spandrels elaborately ornamented with fruit,
flowers and palm fronds; the central 3 bays have a higher segmental vault and
are recessed further into the basement, framing 2 tiers of openings. The date
1718 is noted as appearing on rainwater heads. Interior: Hall has fluted
pilasters below an entablature in which rosettes alternate with boars heads on
the metopes of the triglyph frieze; the fireplace has flanking consoles
supporting a large broken pediment framing a shell, above which are heavy
plaster festoons of oak leaves; the rear section of the room, at high level, is
marked by a pair of columns flanking steps. Stair hall, to right, has a
cantilevered open-well stair with a cast-iron balustrade and has plaster
trophies below the cornice. At the rear, the central saloon has oak panelling
with carved festoons of fruit and flowers above a marble fireplace comprising a
fluted frieze on large reeded consoles, designed by William Kent. Further
drawing room has Adam-style decoration. The first floor has several rooms with
fielded panelling and the central hall is also panelled, with arched doorways to
the rooms and a central light well with cast-iron balustrade.
(C. Hussey, Country Life, Vol.LIX, pp.240-6; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
Listing NGR: SP5841506714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings