This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4495 / 51°26'58"N
Longitude: -0.3134 / 0°18'48"W
OS Eastings: 517296
OS Northings: 173627
OS Grid: TQ172736
Mapcode National: GBR 76.HMX
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.JT5P
Plus Code: 9C3XCMXP+QJ
Entry Name: Marble Hill House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205555
Location: Twickenham Riverside, Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1
County: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Twickenham Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Twickenham
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 MARBLE HILL PARK
Marble Hill House
TQ 1773 21/16 2.9.52
Built 1724-29 to the designs of Lord Herbert and Roger Morris for Henrietta Howard,
mistress of George II. An unusually instructive exemplar of the architectural ideas
of the English Palladian School. The setting of the house was the work of the poet
Alexander Pope and Charles Bridgeman, the royal landscape gardener.
Rectangular on plan, with the main elevations facing north and south; stucco faced
with stone dressings; 3 main storeys (the lowest treated as an architectural basement);
modillion cornice with lead-covered blocking course pyramidal roof covered with blue-
black pantiles and with a lead-covered ball finial at the apex. The north and south
fronts of 5-bays with the centre 3 bays projecting and pedimented; projecting plain
string course and sill band at principal floor level.
On the north front, the projecting centre is enriched with a rusticated basement and
a pilastered giant Ionic order with stepped architrave and pulvinated frieze; tetra-
style; a cartouche in the tympanum of the pediment; the south front is more plainly
treated with a rusticated arched door at the centre. Low wing walls on either side
of the north front.
Fine interiors including the Great Room (a cube of 24 ft) and a mahogany staircase.
The building had been altered externally and internally but was restored to its
original design by the GLC in 1965-66.
(See: M P G Draper and W A Eden: Marble Hill House and its Owners.)
Listing NGR: TQ1729673627
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings